Job no: 492345
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Student Affairs / Services
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law (Denver Law) is a national leader in experiential legal education, a recognized innovator in legal pedagogy, and the site of multiple nationally recognized programs and centers. Consistent with the University of Denver’s IMPACT 2025 strategic plan, Denver Law seeks to elevate the visibility and impact of the institutions scholarship and programs, engage strategically and collaboratively with multiple external constituencies to advance the public good, and magnify the comprehensive strengths of Denver Law and the University of Denver.
This Career Consultant position will have a primary focus on Private Sector counseling, programming and employer outreach. Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Career Opportunities, the Career Consultant provides career consulting services and resources to assist law students and graduates in the areas of career development, effective job search strategies, networking, interviewing and cover letter / resume writing. The Career Consultant also plans and implements career-related programming, builds relationships with employers and works hard to help individual students and the law school as a whole obtain the best possible employment outcomes. The Career Consultant also helps the Assistant Dean to compile and report employment statistics on an as needed basis. Like all members of the CDO staff, the Career Consultant is expected to foster a diverse and inclusive environment in the CDO and the Sturm College of Law Community.
Career consulting, planning and programming, with an emphasis on Private Sector:
- Primary duties include providing effective career consulting as well as providing career-related programming for students and graduates.
- The Career Consultant provides career advising on a broad range of career paths in the private sector and may also work on public sector and judicial clerkship advising, depending on the needs of the office.
- In addition, each consultant develops specialized expertise in particular sector(s) of the job market for purposes of providing in-depth career advising.
- Building relationships with employers to benefit Denver law students and alumni, with a focus on Private Sector.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for building employer relationships.
- Working as part of the CDO team to help law students, alumni, and the law school obtain the most favorable employment outcomes possible, including
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to relate well and to build productive relationships with all CDO constituencies including students, alumni, employers, faculty and staff.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as resumes, cover letters, job descriptions, personal statements and applicable university policies.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret complex information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as good grammar, editing and proofreading skills.
- The ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously to meet the needs of the CDO, the law school and its constituents.
- The ability to be flexible and efficiently adapt in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of email correspondence, student and employer meetings, and other competing demands on time.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with technology, especially the Microsoft Office suite.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years working in one of the following settings: (1) law office, either as a lawyer or legal recruiter; (2) law school administration (in an ABA approved law school); (3) a career services office within a college or university. An equivalent combination of legal education and legal work experience will be considered for this role.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.).
- Strong legal market knowledge and professional network in the legal profession, particularly in Private Sector.
- Experience with the Symplicity Career Services System.
- Career Services office experience ideally at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in a jurisdiction.
- Experience with Microsoft Suite programs (PowerPoint, Excel, and Word). (Move from required)
Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Friday, May 3, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.