Information Technology (IT) is the unified IT organization that supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University by providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DU’s Impact 2025, the division aligns IT resources with University and unit strategic goals and operational plans, providing service in the spirit of “One DU”.
The IT Architecture & Engineering (A&E) team is responsible for implementation, operation and support of all hardware, servers and datacenter infrastructure required in support of university applications and services. This includes but is not limited to physical servers, operating systems, storage, virtual server infrastructure, AAA services, utilities, networking and data center infrastructure (power, cooling, UPS).
Architecture and Engineering Systems Engineer III requires a strong background in Linux and Unix architecture development and administration. This position will assist with the design and implementation of new hardware, applications, and cloud-based solutions in support of the University of Denver user community. The Systems Engineer III consults with employees, faculty, students and researchers on the use of technology necessary to meet university objectives. The Systems Engineer III collaborates with university department members, where needed, to identify areas where the IT team can lend assistance in the identification, acquisition and implementation and of technical solutions.
- Developing, maintaining and supporting technical infrastructure, hardware and system software components
- Developing and supporting standardized operating systems images, system utilities and networking
- Supporting, as required, email platforms (listserv, mail relay, etc.), Web servers (Apache) and databases (Oracle)
- Provides Tier 3 support for the university’s Identity and Access Management (IAM) solution
- Performing installation, maintenance and support of system software/hardware and user support
- Configuring, debugging and supporting multiple infrastructure platforms
- Performing high-level root cause analysis for service interruption recovery and creating preventive measures
- Creating and maintaining documentation for systems and applications for troubleshooting and recovery
- Installing operating system software, patches and upgrades
- Configuring, optimizing, fine-tuning and monitoring operating system software and servers
- Performing system backups and recovery
- Conducting server builds
- Administer IAM solution
- Design, deploy and support university authentication, authorization and accounting (AAA) solutions to include Shibboleth, CAS and SAML
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong inter-personal communication and service skills when dealing with both technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to work with other system engineers and clients/customers on small and larger projects.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely. Ability to prioritize projects according to customers’ and university needs with minimal or no direction.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 5 years experience managing Redhat/Ubuntu Servers (RHEL 5,6,7/Ubuntu 12+)
- 5 years experience in building, configuring and managing Unix/Linux servers
- 2 years experience in working with virtual infrastructure (i.e. VMWare 5+)
- 2 years experience in utilizing PERL, KSH, BASH or other scripting languages to automate common functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Certified in Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) and/or Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
- At least 2 years enterprise production experience with Sophos PMX 6, PureMessage and/or Postfix, with a strong understanding of email concepts
- At least 2 years enterprise production experience with web technologies such as Apache, Tomcat, Nginx, Liferay, PHP, XSL and HTML
- 2 years experience with automation utilities like puppet and chef
- 5 years experience with networking and SAN concepts
- 5 years experience with NFS filesystems
- Familiarity with Installshield/Xcode/Apple Script/XpressConnect
- Familiarity with OpenLDAP, CAS, Shibboleth and their concepts
- Familiarity with supporting oracle DB environments
- Experience with JSON,YAML, XML and SOAP
- Puppet / Ansible (Automation)
- Elasticsearch, logging
- Certificate management (apache,nginx,java keystore, etc)
- Standard IT office environment
- Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high
- Noise level is moderate
- Individual must be capable of working evenings and weekends as necessary to minimize disruption of the University’s on-going activities.
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time
- Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 50 lbs
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) August 14, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.