Associate Teacher - Ricks Center
Job no: 492616
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Teacher (Pre K-8)
Ricks Center for Gifted Children at the University of Denver is an exemplary program designed for gifted children. We provide nationally recognized gifted education to approximately 230 students ranging from three years of age through eighth grade, who demonstrate exceptional, differentiated abilities and learning needs.
The Associate Teacher will assist in the development and implementation of the classroom curriculum and environment to facilitate the cognitive, social-emotional, physical, language, and development and well-being of the children within a play-based, enriching educational setting. This position will be a member of the teaching team in the planning, organization, implementation and delivery of curricula and care-giving based on the mission and philosophy of the school. The Associate Teacher will assist in the development of a classroom plan for curriculum, developmental observations, individual child planning, and daily family communication as agreed upon by the Teacher. The Associate Teacher will step-in to direct the development and implementation of the classroom environment, curriculum, and family communication in the absence of the classroom Teacher. This position is in a Preschool, Prekindergarten, or Kindergarten classroom.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work with students in a positive and encouraging manner and demonstrate patience
- Comfortable in a team-player role
- Creative, innovative thinker and planner
- Strict adherence to school mission, values, philosophies, and goals
- Perform classroom maintenance and instructional duties as assigned
- Assist in activities like field trips and other events
- Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials
- Enforce school-wide safety procedures, disciplinary codes, and rewards
- Associates degree in ECE, Elementary Education, Special Education, Family and Child Development, Child Psychology or CDHS and/or Division of Child Care Group Leader Qualification
- Must be able to push, pull, or lift 50 lbs.
- Bachelors degree in ECE or related field.
- 2 or more years of classroom experience in a NAEYC accredited early childhood group setting.
- Knowledge and experience working with children who have special needs.
- Experience working with children in an inclusive environment.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
1. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
2. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on August 21, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.