Director of Midwest Regional Engagement
Job no: 492620
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Chicago, IL
Categories: Alumni / Development / Fundraising
The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU's remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of collaborative, curious, results-oriented, and mission-driven advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
In order for the University of Denver to achieve an ambitious DU IMPACT 2025 vision, it is imperative that we strategically engage and involve the global Pioneer family in the effort of supporting and advancing the University. With over sixty percent of the alumni base living outside of Colorado and thousands of parents and friends across the country, success will partially be dependent upon our ability to build and sustain a cultivation strategy outside of Colorado. The University of Denver seeks to strengthen its global network of Pioneer supporters and ambassadors by establishing a sustainable advancement presence in five key markets across the United States. These regional teams will be based in the geographic areas they serve and will include a director of development, a director of engagement, and a part-time market fellow. The regional team will collaborate closely and frequently with the Denver-based DU Advancement team as well as other colleagues across campus. Regional offices will be anchored in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City and Washington, DC. Regular travel within the region is expected, along with quarterly travel to Denver.
With a primary focus in their region, the Director of Engagement will engage alumni, parents, and donors in the region as well as develop a programmatic portfolio for the region in collaboration with the Denver-based advancement team. Additionally, the incumbent will develop formal and informal networks of alumni leaders within different industries, neighborhoods, and affinity communities. This position will report to the Executive Director of Regional Advancement and Volunteer Engagement, manage one part-time market fellow, and work alongside a regional Director of Development. The teams goal is to create a culture of lifelong engagement and philanthropy among constituents in the region. This position will serve the Midwest region from DU Advancement regional team offices located in Chicago, IL.
The University of Denver is also unique in its academic portfolio, which boasts both a strong undergraduate experience as well as highly respected graduate and professional schools. Alumni identify with both the institution as well as their specific academic units within it, and the Director of Engagement must be creative in their approach toward crafting engagement strategies that emphasize the intersection of those identities. The Director of Engagement will partner closely with colleagues working within the specific schools, colleges, and units to align alumni engagement strategies for the region.
The regional advancement team will achieve its goals by working in a highly collaborative fashion with their colleagues in academic units and with the entire DU Advancement team.
- Meet regularly with constituents in the region to understand the needs and desires of local alumni, parents, and friends
- Communicate with unit-based engagement team members and log details of alumni interactions in contact reports to build a shared awareness of local alumni across all advancement functions
- Using the information they have collected and stewarded, supports the University of Denver to make data-driven decisions for targeted outreach to local alumni
- Identify, cultivate and sustain networks of alumni, parents, and friends within local markets to increase engagement through in-person interactions and philanthropic commitments
- Meet one-on-one and in small groups with local members of the Pioneer family to learn more about their unique needs, desires, and sentiments toward the University
- Leverage existing programs and create new opportunities to engage the local community.
- During key moments in the life of the university (such as signature events, campus leadership interactions within the region, and campaign-related activities), convert and activate networks into audiences to deepen the commitment of individuals to DU
- Engage local alumni, parents, and friends as volunteers and deepen their commitment and sense of ownership toward specific goals, programs, and activities
- Effectively manage the regional engagement operating budget, including monitoring transactions, promoting policy compliance, and assisting in budget modeling and forecasting processes
University & DU Advancement Citizenship
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and campus colleagues to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative advancement practices
- Collaborate closely with campus-based advancement colleagues and operate within the established framework of DU Advancement goals and priorities
- Contribute to team success and model One DU leadership
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal, written and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, including the ability to work collaboratively with remote colleagues
- Exceptionally high level of customer service skills
- Adept at using judgment and discretion in situations that require sensitivity and tact
- Ability to develop and hone a deep understanding of the University of Denver, and to foster that understanding in a remote capacity
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 5 years of community engagement, membership management or other comparable experience
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally with colleagues in other departments/teams to produce events, marketing materials, and other key deliverables
- Ability to travel regularly within the region along with periodic travel to Denver
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working in a University or similar non-profit environment
- Prior experience working in a regional model
- Established knowledge of the University of Denver
- Supervisor experience
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; some nights and weekends, as required
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on August 23, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon the satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.