Associate Dean of Faculty and Student Affairs
Job no: 492608
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Academic Administration
We seek a candidate with prior experience coordinating or administering academic programs who will become an important member of our leadership team. The Associate Dean will help implement our new strategic plan, meet regularly with campus stakeholders in different offices, and work collaboratively and collegially with faculty, staff, students, and administrators. This position requires an individual with a demonstrated commitment to faculty and student success; someone who uses data and research to inform organizational decisions; and an individual who is committed to our values around Inclusive Excellence.
The University of Denver's Morgridge College of Education (MCE) invites applications for an Associate Dean of Faculty and Student Affairs. The Associate Dean will report to the Dean of MCE, providing strategic leadership to advance the mission of the College. The Associate Dean, in partnership with the Department Chairs, will support and direct faculty growth and development in teaching, scholarship, research, and professional activities while ensuring that MCE's various Programs maintain accreditation through high academic standards. The Associate Dean will also oversee student-related matters for the College and coordinate our ongoing Inclusive Excellence efforts (https://www.du.edu/cme/resources/inclusive-excellence.html).
- Support the recruitment of qualified faculty for MCE programs, including search committee orientation and representing the Deans Office on search committees.
- Meet regularly with Department Chairs to discuss ongoing matters related to faculty success.
- Oversee assistant-level faculty onboarding and mentoring programs, and coordinate faculty requests for professional development.
- Prepare future faculty leaders in the College through ongoing training and development opportunities.
- Coordinate with the Dean to ensure Department Chairs and faculty are trained on development and deployment of degree plans including the designation of appropriate faculty workloads.
- Ensure the timely resolution of escalations and appeals, for faculty and students, while maintaining the best interests of the common stakeholders within the University policy guidelines.
- Support faculty in developing the skills necessary for enacting Inclusive Excellence.
- Support the College of Education Student Association (COESA) and work with the faculty representative to promote COESA's success.
- Manage student issues and concerns that escalate to the Dean's Office.
- Provide a forum to hear student concerns and communicate college-wide updates.
- Participate in the Student Affairs Collective, a monthly meeting organized by the Division of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence.
Support students in developing skills necessary for enacting Inclusive Excellence.
- Coordinate the Colleges Inclusive Excellence efforts.
- Lead and support the Inclusive Excellence Committee.
- Prepare annual reports related to the Colleges progress on Inclusive Excellence efforts.
- Develop new initiatives related to the Colleges strategic focus on building an intentional culture.
- Contribute to the overall success of the College and University through participation in the Dean's Leadership Team, College-Wide Leadership Team, and the strategic planning process.
- Support a strong leadership team of Department Chairs through regular meetings and developmental opportunities.
- Develop, build, and maintain relationships with the internal partners such as the Office of Graduate Education, Office of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence, and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, and external partners such as industry representatives, advisory committee members, and community partners.
- Provide Department and Program leadership to support the Colleges mission, vision, core themes, and strategic plan.
- Contribute to the annual budget process and manage daily operations to remain within budgetary constraints and improve operating margins.
- Represent MCE at meetings of various groups and organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Terminal degree from a regionally accredited university in a discipline offered through MCE.
- Experience coordinating or administering academic programs (with a preference for hire at associate to full professor rank, series not restricted).
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Demonstrated performance in making sound, independent judgments.
- Strong process management skills, analytical abilities and attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills including complete familiarity with MS Office suite.
Depending on the background of the candidate, the opportunity for appointment as a faculty member at the rank Assistant, Associate, or full Professor may be possible. With the faculty appointment, the primary affiliation for employment status and benefits will be as a faculty member and not as a staff member.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on September 13, 2019.
This faculty appointment is negotiable with preference for January 1, 2020 start date. Review of applications will begin on September 16.
Candidates must apply online through www.jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter outlining your fit with the position
- A separate one-page statement on how the applicant’s past experiences specifically address issues of race, social justice, and inclusive excellence in higher education.
- List of 3-5 individuals who can serve as professional references
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.