Grounds Keeper I
Job no: 494164
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Maintenance / Grounds / Skilled Trades
The Department of Facilities Management supports the mission of the University of Denver by providing an aesthetically pleasing, clean, orderly, safe and healthy environment in which to learn, teach, live and work.
Under immediate supervision, this position performs grounds maintenance and landscape gardening work on all property owned by the University of Denver.
- Lay sod, plant new shrubs, trees, and flowers.
- Operates equipment to spray, fertilize and aerate lawn areas.
- Operates power lawn mowers and tractors for cutting grass.
- Operates trucks, tractors, and other machinery in the routine care of all grounds.
- Operates truck, hand cart, dolly, hand truck , forklift, and other equipment in the moving and setup of equipment on all university properties.
- Picks up, collects, removes litter and debris from all ground areas.
- Picks up material ordered by Physical Plant when not delivered by common carrier.
- Removes snow by power equipment or shovel from parking lots, sidewalks, exterior stairs, ramps, and terraces.
- Rototills, spades, rakes, weeds, and fertilizes flower-planting beds.
- Trims and /or prunes hedges, shrubs, and trees.
- Trim grass by or power edger-trimmer.
- Waters lawn and planted areas by hand or sprinkler systems.
- Moves various equipment, supplies, and furniture manually or by use of a truck.
- Performs minor repairs, lubricates and sharpens equipment.
- Reports complex repair needs to supervisor.
- Makes minor repairs to parking lots.
- Installs signs.
- Removes trees.
- Performs landscape installation.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Reasoning Ability: Detailed, but easy to follow procedures. Daily priorities are established and frequently monitored by supervisor. Employee responds to situations requiring immediate attention.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid Colorado's drivers license and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Must Pass Pre-Placement Physical.
- One year experience in grounds gardening and/or nursery.
- Knowledge of all types of landscaping and grounds maintenance equipment.
Tuesday – Saturday, 5:00am – 1:30pm
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 03.
The hourly rate for the position is $15.15
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Pre-Employment Physical and Drug Screen.