The University of Denver, a private university, is the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, with approximately 11,800 students in undergraduate and graduate programs. DU is classified as a Doctoral/Research University with high research activity. The Daniels College is the eighth oldest collegiate business program in the U.S. and has held AACSB accreditation since 1923. The College offers both undergraduate and masters degree programs. Current enrollment in Daniels includes more than 1,500 undergraduate and 900 graduate students.
The Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver (DU) invites applications for a non-tenure track Teaching Assistant Professor position in the Department of Marketing starting January 1, 2022. Marketing is an academic unit of the Daniels College. The Department of Marketing at Daniels College of Business brings together traditional and innovative marketing approaches within the framework of marketing expertise, experiential learning, local connections, and global action. Building on this legacy of innovation, the Department of Marketing offers rigorous academic instruction with market relevance. The Department currently has nineteen full-time faculty members (http://daniels.du.edu/faculty-research/marketing) and is well-positioned to be a leader in our discipline. Our Department offers both undergraduate (BS) and graduate degrees (MS, MBA, and graduate certificate programs) and is one of the most popular majors/specializations in the college.
The Marketing Department at the University of Denver (DU) is firmly committed to building a diverse and inclusive educational environment, which is in full accord with the value that DU places on Inclusive Excellence. DU strives to contribute to the healing and systemic change required to increase diversity on our campus and in our community. Candidates must demonstrate the ability and commitment to integrate content and issues relating to, and to work effectively with diverse populations. Class sizes in marketing typically range from 15 to 35.
The Department offers a wide variety of courses. At this time, the Department is interested in candidates who have expertise in marketing-related technologies and would be comfortable teaching some of the following courses: introduction to marketing, consumer behavior, marketing research, business-to-business marketing, personal selling, digital marketing (including specialized areas such as SEM, SEO, social media marketing, mobile marketing, tech in marketing, data science in marketing, digital strategies, sales), marketing strategy, and integrated marketing communications. Some of these courses will involve projects with industry clients.
Teaching: Required to teach six courses over the Winter and Spring quarters on various topics. Instructors are expected to attend all scheduled class sessions and to be involved in curriculum and pedagogy development, creating learning objectives, syllabi creation and management, timely and consistent grading, classroom management, student meetings and mentoring, testing/quizzes, instruction assessment, and professional development in educational topics. Instructors are also expected to be responsive in student communications and follow all guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic and any other health-related situation.
Research and Scholarship: Teaching Assistant Professors are encouraged, but not required, to engage in research, scholarship, and creative work. Although academic publishing is not a requirement, other creative work such as white papers, articles, original presentations, patents, product development, and expert skills, are valued. Our innovative environment nurtures many forms of creativity and inquiry.
The primary focus of the Teaching Assistant Professor position is teaching with service expectations increasing towards the promotion to the position of Teaching Associate Professor. Research and Scholarship is not a requirement, but it is considered in the evaluation criteria for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to be pivot-ready and teach in a variety of ways, including in-person, online, hybrid, and across different undergraduate and graduate audiences.
- Demonstrated willingness to engage/enhance the student experience in and outside the classroom through various student activities that have high impact.
- Demonstrated commitment to work effectively in a team and help others develop professionally.
- Master's Degree in Business or a Business sub-discipline, such as Marketing OR in a related field, such as Communication, Digital Media Studies, Psychology or Sociology.
- Demonstrated potential for teaching excellence in the areas of marketing and related topics.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Advanced degree in Business or in a Business-related field.
- Previous experience or demonstrated ability to teaching in-person, online, and/or in hybrid courses.
- Commitment to keeping up-to-date with innovative technologies.
- Experience with instructional technology such as Canvas, Respondus, Blackboard.
- Demonstrated technical skills for a variety of digital, marketing-related platforms (such as Google Analytics, HTML/CSS, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, WordPress, Salesforce).
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Monday, October 4th, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is UC.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
This will be a 6-month prorated position with possibility for renewal.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- One-page diversity statement describing how the candidate’s teaching and/or service contributes to DU's values, practices, and actions regarding diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. [https://www.du.edu/equity/dei-action-plan].
- Teaching Statement
- Names and contact information of three references that can provide letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation will be requested at the time of the final round of interviews.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.