The Division of Marketing & Communications (MarComm) speaks with a unified, authentic and resonant voice to strategically advance the University of Denver's brand with four goals in mind:
- To promote and protect DU's reputation
- To inspire students to enroll and engage
- To increase inclusion
- To strengthen the University
MarComm aims to strengthen DU's strategic position locally, regionally and nationally through data-driven and authentic storytelling across multiple channels with focused support on the university's value drivers: academics and research; enrollment and admissions, athletics and advancement.
Whether through public or media relations, digital strategies, social media, print, podcast, issues or crisis management, community relations or thought leadership and training, MarComm drives results through narratives that involve words, pictures and design. With true understanding of and connection with our diverse audiences, we aim to foster collaborative problem solving, creativity and innovation.
The Marketing Manager (MM) oversees development of key external and internal marketing tools. The MM will advance the institution’s brand reputation through the successful execution of purposeful campaigns, projects, creative work and messaging to showcase the university’s brand and strategic initiatives. The MM supports unit leadership in a variety of ways, including oversight of advertising fulfillment, brand ambassador engagement, promotional event experiences, marketing asset production, toolkit development, campaign execution and marketing evaluation. The MM leads and maintains the strategic development and distribution of a variety of marketing materials in electronic and print format, including web content, brochures, fact sheets and posters, scripts and talking points, advertisements (display, ppc, paid social, print, OOH, underwriting, video, audio, etc.), promotional articles, emails, and environmental displays; writes and edits content as needed; supervises select marketing team members; coordinates special events/sponsorships and the work of designers, videographers, photographers, writers and select vendors.
As a member of the university’s marketing team, this collaborative position interfaces with the unit marketing, strategic positioning, creative, operations/finance and communications teams, as well as the university’s agencies and internal partners to ensure the successful delivery of a heavy schedule of short- and long-term projects. Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Marketing & Brand Management and in collaboration with the remainder of the unit’s leadership team, the MM provides clarity and structure to direction for the successful execution of brand marketing projects, campaigns and initiatives and tracks progress to ensure delivery that is on message, on time and on budget according to established targets. The Marketing Manager will collaborate with colleagues across the unit to evaluate the effectiveness of DU’s brand promotion and publicity efforts to advise leadership on adjustments to strategy and implementation. Additionally, the MM will provide consultation for campus partners and collaborate with the Sr. Director to refine processes, manage projects/timelines, and ensure excellent customer service to campus stakeholders.
- Assist unit leadership by managing the successful execution of brand advertising, sponsorship fulfillment and select marketing initiatives in the following ways:
- Overseeing and contributing to the development, production and distribution of central marketing assets, including but not limited to advertising, promotional copy, direct marketing (print, email, SMS) collateral, web content, photography, video, etc. from conception to deployment;
- Overseeing creative work in progress and providing direction as needed to ensure development remains aligned with central marketing goals and leadership vision;
- Providing quality control (accuracy of information, on brand/message, on time, on strategy and on budget) and development/coordination of timelines;
- Working with various unit leaders to understand strategic objectives before accurately scoping work and identifying timing/delivery mechanisms/resource requirements;
- I dentifying content opportunities that mutually support unit and institutional goals and objectives;
- Creating and executing on project and creative briefs and other internal briefing documents;
- Serving as project manager and coordinating the work of internal resources, cross-functional teams and third parties/vendors responsible for high-quality deliverables and assets;
- Writing and editing content for a variety of channels and mediums and identifying ways to re-purpose and leverage content for maximum impact across channels;
- Assisting the unit in establishing processes to improve workflow and efficiency surrounding marketing projects;
- Identifying required lead times, approval needs and processes for managing projects and change requests;
- Conducting project and campaign kick-off meetings as assigned;
- Developing master schedule and tracking campaign/project progress throughout lifecycle to ensure timely completion; managing project and campaign budgets as allotted;
- Trafficking advertising assets and ensuring campaign elements are implemented accurately;
- Assisting in presenting creative work to key approvers in partnership with art director;
- Updating and maintaining an archive of advertising copy, materials and timelines;
- Employing project management software and techniques to request, track and provide project feedback.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of university marketing efforts by:
- Facilitating regular production status meetings with creative team and project sponsors;
- Providing strategic recommendations and identifying optimization opportunities in real-time based on campaign performance;
- Anticipating and reporting problems that may affect project/campaign schedules before they occur;
- Overseeing campaign tracking implementation and advertising performance analysis in partnership with the marketing analytics manager;
- Actively monitoring multiple strategic communication, marketing, and promotional activities and campaigns and overseeing the implementation of approved optimization recommendations in real-time in partnership with the marketing analytics manager and creative teams;
- Analyzing data to inform strategy/decision-making and developing personalized content for segmented audiences in collaboration with colleagues;
- Preparing regular assessment reports for unit leadership in collaboration with colleagues;
- Monitoring peer and competitor marketing for marketing and strategic communication trends, design concepts and creative approaches;
- Assessing designated market area (DMA) opportunities, tracking market trends and making strategy enhancement recommendations to senior directors in partnership with marketing analytics manager;
- Acting as internal liaison and developing reporting processes to assist unit leadership in prioritizing projects.
- Contribute to overall unit effort and effectiveness by:
- Sharing expertise and findings with peers based on observation, analytics and survey results;
- Leading and/or collaborating on special projects/initiatives as assigned;
- Identifying and writing compelling stories and copy to showcase DU’s unique value propositions, students, faculty and alumni;
- Attending meetings and working with committees;
- Learning and improving knowledge to further experience and sharing lessons learned with team members; performing other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven project management skills with experience balancing multiple priorities, deadlines and budget allocations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams to complete projects or campaigns on time and on budget.
- Demonstrable excellent written and oral communication, presentation and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to process and prioritize heavy workload and work efficiently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word/Pages, PowerPoint/Keynote, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop (or other photo editing program) and social media platforms.
- Established record of collaboration and good interpersonal and communication skills with diverse internal and external constituents.
- Working knowledge of how to compile reports, building charts and graphs, and displaying data in compelling ways.
- Excellent attention-to-detail skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (Veterans with equivalent combination of military certification/education and experience may substitute for the degree qualification).
- 5 years of experience executing marketing or advertising initiatives across multiple channels, including digital and print, to achieve unit goals.
- Experience writing, producing and editing informational and marketing materials as well as talking points.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communication, public relations or related field.
- 8 years of experience executing marketing or advertising initiatives across multiple channels, including digital and print, to achieve unit goals.
- Experience planning and placing paid media/advertising.
- Previous supervision experience.
- Project management certification.
- Track record of demonstrating initiative in identifying innovative techniques for navigating the modern marketing landscape and a willingness to learn new techniques in real time.
- Demonstrable understanding of the higher education market.
- Experience using content management systems and other distribution tools, including web, email, and customer relationship management/marketing automation systems.
- Familiarity with enrollment management practices and corresponding marketing strategies.
- Familiarity with advancement and fundraising practices and corresponding marketing strategies.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, November 15th, 2021. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 13.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $97,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.