The University of Denver’s College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (CAHSS) is looking for a passionate, self-motivated storyteller to join its Marketing and Communications team as a Writer.
The Writer will be responsible for writing feature articles and web and social media copy for the College and its 26+ departments, centers and institutes. This individual must be an excellent storyteller and be comfortable writing in a variety of tones to appeal to a wide audience to increase engagement to the website. The position is responsible for writing and editing content in alignment with style, tone, and brand guidelines. The Writer will be expected to create content on a regular cadence, meeting weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
You will collaborate closely with teammates throughout CAHSS and the University’s Division of Marketing and Communications to produce content that reflects varying organizational and business objectives. You will research, plan, write and analyze methodology for writing digital content and leverage analytics to gauge effectiveness.
This is a non-benefited position not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Research, plan, write and edit inspiring, informative, engaging and audience-relevant copy for CAHSS and departmental websites, including feature-length articles, digital content, and copy for CAHSS’s website, newsletters, social media channels, marketing campaigns, and other areas as needed
- Draft questions and conduct interviews with CAHSS faculty, staff, students, and alumni for story assignments
- Accept assignments from CAHSS MarComm leadership and generate/pitch original story ideas for consideration
- Update web content via content management systems, including Drupal, Gather Content, eclincher, and more
- Coordinate with external partners and internal team members on a wide variety of content projects
- Support social media planning and execution as needed
- Optimize campaigns and content for SEO using keyword tools
- Consult with CAHSS and MarComm leadership on voice, tone and style of content
- Write additional content and draft newsletters as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent storytelling skills, impeccable grammar, and ability to write specifically for web/digital platforms in the English language to support specific audiences
- Ability to research, plan and write and edit content on deadline according to content/style and brand guidelines
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills and the ability to clearly communicate in both oral and written forms
- Ability to identify sources for research and draft copy with limited direction
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Exceptional service to both internal and external clients and constituents, including responding promptly to issues and challenges
- Positive outlook and professional demeanor; tactful, diplomatic approach with the ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a fast-paced, detail-driven environment
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Undergraduate degree from a four-year university
- Demonstrated exceptional writing skills
- At least one year of professional work experience
- 2+ years of professional experience writing journalistic content and/or copy for web platforms and editing digital content in a variety of formats
- Experience with open-source CMS platforms such as WordPress or Drupal
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in two or more languages
Part-time, up to 20 hours/week. Exact schedule to be coordinated with supervisor. This position is primarily remote but may be asked to attend in-person meetings or events occasionally
The hourly range for this position is $28-38.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers some benefits for non-benefited employees. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
This position will remain open until filled, preference will be given to early applicants.
Candidates must apply online through https://www.du.edu/jobs/ to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position
- Writing samples (2-3) demonstrating knowledge of marketing, web, or blog copywriting, and/or examples of journalistic writing.
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university’s educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university’s complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see https://www.du.edu/equalopportunity/non-discrimination-statement.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.