Evening/Weekend Reference Librarian
Job no: 492669
Work type: Staff Part-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Library Professionals
The University of Denver Libraries, comprised of the Main Library at the Anderson Academic Commons, a remote storage facility called the Hampden Center, and the Bonfils Stanton Music Library in the Newman Center, is a highly collaborative organization that serves a diverse population, ranging from our students, staff, and faculty to public and other academic patrons from the surrounding region. The Anderson Academic Commons is the campus centerpiece for collaborative teaching, learning, and engagement. The University of Denver Libraries are central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty, and provide collections, services, personnel, and systems that support the teaching and research programs of the University. The institution is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Library Instruction and Reference Services, the Evening/Weekend Reference Librarian provides research consultations for students and faculty in the Anderson Academic Commons’ Research Center and completes special projects as assigned.
This is a part-time, non-benefited position for the academic year (September to June) and not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
Duties may include the following, based on the needs of the Reference Department:
- In forty-five minute consultations, provide in-depth research assistance for students, faculty, staff, and other library users. Research consultations typically involve teaching patrons how to: find and evaluate sources for their research topics, choose the right discipline-specific databases, use effective search terms and filtering techniques, and utilize citation management software to keep track of sources.
- Provide backup phone, chat, email, and in-person reference assistance for staff working at the Research Center desk.
- Explain library policies, as needed.
- Complete projects assigned by reference librarians (e.g. analyzing collection strengths and needs; creating and updating research guides and instructional handouts; surveying user satisfaction; etc.)
- Track statistics for various duties and projects for assessment purposes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service, communication, and research skills.
- Good judgment, ability to take direction, problem-solving, attention to detail, and decision-making skills are also needed to assist library patrons in finding and evaluating print and electronic information sources.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- M.L.S./M.L.I.S degree or equivalent library experience.
- Familiarity and experience with computers and peripheral hardware/software.
- One year of academic library reference experience.
- Graduate coursework in reference.
- Experience conducting research consultations.
Evening hours and weekend hours are required, but there is some flexibility in the schedule.
Saturday OR Sunday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Two weekday evenings (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday): 5:00pm - 8:00pm
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Wednesday, September 18, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly rate for the position is $20.00.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.