Student Services Coordinator
Job no: 492722
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Student Affairs / Services
The Office of Graduate Education (OGE) strives to provide exceptional leadership and service in advocating for excellence and integrity in all graduate programs at the University of Denver. Dedicated to quality, innovation, engagement, integrity, and inclusion, the OGE maintains the highest standards in enrollment management and student services, focused on providing an excellent experience from inquiry to alumni association.
Under the direction of the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Education, the OGE partners with deans, academic units, administrative offices across campus, GSG and University governance on recruitment and retention, fellowships and financial aid, academic assessment, and program review to continually improve the quality of graduate education at DU.
In consultation with the Provost and Graduate Council, the OGE is responsible for the authorship and oversight of graduate policy, upholding standards with fairness and respect to all. In all that we do, the OGE supports the Universitys commitment to creating a diverse, ethical, and intellectually vibrant campus community.
The Student Services Coordinator reports directly to the Associate Director for Academic Student Services. The Student Services Coordinator will work in the Office of Graduate Education and support the workflow of the operations of student services. In addition, the coordinator will serve in the capacity as a liaison and resource for graduate students, faculty and staff on graduate policies and procedures. The functions and role in the Office of Graduate Education is in support of the entire graduate population (approximately 6000 students.) The graduate students at the University make up the majority of the student body.
- Manage active graduate students files
- Monitor, communicate and enforce graduate students degree time limits, Continuous Enrollment status and below B average reports. Responsible for notification to departments regarding student withdrawals, student statuses, and when a student is not meeting graduate policy standards
- Process student forms including transfer of credit, personal leave of absence, dual degrees, Continuous Enrollment, readmission, change of major, and verifying that forms are complete, accurate, and meet the requirements of policy
- Assist the Assistant Director in communicating any policy updates to academic units
- Have a strong comprehension of graduate policy and procedures and be able to answer questions from faculty, staff, and students needing to understand policy-related issues
- Maintain good communication and provide excellent customer service to students, departments, and administrative staff
- Responsible for distributing relevant student services information and correct forms to students, departments, colleges, and schools on-campus
- Train and provide resources to departmental assistants and student services personnel in graduate processes, policies and procedures
- Conduct presentations and training for students, faculty and staff regarding graduate policy and procedures
Thesis/Dissertation Formatting Review
- Review and approve formatting of thesis/dissertation before final submission to the university and provide feedback to students
- Prepare theses and dissertations for submission to ProQuest/UMI and binding, including the collection of all required forms and proof of payment
- Distribute oral defense information to committee members and maintain schedule of oral defense
- Support the graduation process for graduate students for official graduation from the University of Denver by accomplishing the following steps each quarter:
- Merge all graduation information onto forms to perform graduation checks/reviews for graduating students
- Collaborate with departments to review student academic information
- Complete a full graduation evaluation/review for graduation candidates each quarter
- Communicate with students regarding remaining degree requirements
- Work with academic units to review and approve late graduation applications
- At the conclusion of each quarter, certify the degree of graduation candidates with the Office of the Registrar and delay the graduation application for any students who did not complete degree requirements in the term of graduation
- Assist the Office of the Registrar with the spring and summer commencement ceremonies, including the review and update of the commencement program, preparation of doctoral diplomas at commencement and commencement lineup
Student Staff Management and Office Operations
- Collaborate with full-time staff in the recruitment, hiring, training, management, and performance evaluation of work study students and temporary staff, as needed.
- Assist in the organization of staff meetings, trainings, and professional development opportunities for office staff.
- Assist in ordering office supplies, submitting work orders, and event planning, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A successful candidate and incumbent must demonstrate the ability to reprioritize tasks and projects to accommodate urgent situations
- Confidence in the delivery of university policy to faculty, deans, administration and students
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- The ability to take independent responsibility and initiative for completing tasks
- The ability to exercise discretion and good judgment
- Prompt and reliable responsiveness
- The ability to perform well in a complex, multitask-oriented, and fast-paced environment
- The ability to perform simple mathematical calculations
- The ability to made a positive contribution to a professional team
- Good computer and technical skills
- Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Banner database system
- Outstanding business, professional, and/or academic writing skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- One year of office administrative experience in a customer service facing position
- Experience working in higher education or other professional environment
- Bachelor's degree
- Two years of related work experience in student affairs or educational administration
Monday -Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm, extended hours occasionally required
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on October 15, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.