Temporary Administrative Assistant
Job no: 492733
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Admin / Executive / Office Support
The Department of Languages and Literatures offers undergraduate majors and minors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish; minors in Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, and Latin; and electives in Arabic and classical Greek. The department has approximately 40 full-time faculty and staff members who come from 20 different countries and speak as many languages.
This is a temporary, non-benefited position to provide interim departmental support during a staff position vacancy. We expect this position to run for at least six weeks. The Administrative Assistant ensures the functionality of the department office, assists visitors to the department and fields requests, directing them to the appropriate contact. This position will also assist with course scheduling for the department, event logistics and support faculty and staff as needed. This position reports to the Assistant to the Chair.
Reception and Office Management
- Monitor department phone, email and mail services. Serve as first point of contact for internal/ external inquiries in department’s main office and route inquiries to appropriate contact.
- Ensure functionality of office spaces and equipment, manages supplies and materials.
- Coordinate facilities work orders and room reservations.
Administrative and Program Support
- Assist with course scheduling.
- Assist with event logistics.
- Provide administrative support to faculty and staff as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds and to contribute to an atmosphere of inclusiveness and appreciation of differences, in line with DU's inclusive excellence mission
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities, prioritize and meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Exercises sound judgment, tact and discretion
- Service-oriented with the ability to provide information and solve problems in a helpful, timely, and accurate manner
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, as well as excellent written and spoken English language skills
- High level of proficiency working with Microsoft Office, as well as the ability to learn and use a wide variety of new software applications
- High school diploma
- (1) year of experience in an office support setting
- Bachelor’s degree or degree in progress
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience working with database systems (e.g. BANNER)
- Proficiency in a second language (Working in a language other than English will not be required, but our department is committed to multilingualism as an asset that enhances communication skills in general.)
Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The hourly rate for this position is $16.15
The position is open until filled. For best consideration, please apply by October 10, 2019
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter addressing your experience in relation to this position
- List of references / contact information
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.