Are you a professional skilled maintenance worker who wants to elevate your career? Are you a motivated self-starter who is driven by quality and integrity? Do you want to earn a College Degree from a Prestigious University and have it paid for by your employer all while earning a paycheck? If so here is a rare opportunity for you to join a World Class Institution at the University of Denver. We are currently seeking candidates for full time benefited Maintenance Worker IV positions, to join our Facilities Maintenance Team and Staff from 3:30p-12:00a Tues.-Sat. Swing Shift.
Enrich the University of Denver's global prominence and community impact through excellence in innovative Facilities Services.
Through exceptional customer service, we provide sustainable stewardship to the university community that creates an engaging and thriving environment to learn, live, teach and work.
- Stewardship: We effectively use all resources to meet the needs of today without compromising the future. We work in a safe manner using equipment and procedures as appropriate and encourage others to do the same. We maintain confidences and protect the security of operations and assets by keeping information confidential and equipment/facilities secure. We demonstrate efficient use of time, equipment, and other resources with a focus on sustainable operations and best practices.
- Teamwork:We work together cooperatively in support of our mission. We value individuals and their contributions to the team and treat each other with respect and dignity. We actively work to create and support an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. We communicate honestly and openly, listen attentively, and assume responsibility for resolving difficulties appropriately. We encourage cooperation, collaboration, and co-ownership of success.
- Professionalism: We earn the trust of others through professional conduct that includes honesty, reliability, and competency. We exhibit a courteous, conscientious and businesslike manner in the workplace. We actively endorse and support DU's mission and work to fulfill its vision, mission, and goals. We pursue professional development to increase expertise and improve our capabilities to deliver improved job performance.
- Service: We contribute to the success of others by responding in a courteous, timely and accurate manner, seeking assistance when necessary to create a positive DU experience that exceeds the expectations of students, and internal and external contacts. We understand that our performance directly affects the future of DU and strive to perform to enhance the DU experience. We embrace a positive attitude and participate through engagement with changes in procedures, environment, or responsibilities.
- Integrity: We accept responsibility for the University's and public's trust and are accountable for individual actions. We conduct ourselves and perform our duties in an environmentally, socially, and economically responsible manner that is reflective and protective of the trust placed on us as stewards of the University's facility related resources.
- Excellence: We strive to achieve excellence in all endeavors and are committed to continuous improvement. We enthusiastically deliver quality services to our customers while consistently seeking to improve those services through creativity and innovation.
- Engagement: We seek to "tell our story" through collaboration, communication, and inclusion with the greater DU community. Through involvement, we ensure the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, visitors, and neighbors are met and efforts from each department are understood. We take every opportunity to augment the education and research mission of the university through demonstration of real world applications of theories and principles.
With little or no supervision from the foreman, this position performs repairs and maintenance at a semi-skilled level in multiple trade areas.
- Performs work in at least three or more trade areas such as, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry and painting.
- Installs and /or replaces the following: ceiling tile, suspended ceilings, floor tile, ceramic tile, steel studs, sheetrock, plastic laminate, screens, drapery rods, door hardware, brick work, concrete, painting and patching, shelving, pumps, motors, filters, electrical switches, receptacles and ballasts.
- Operates power equipment that includes power saws, sanders, drill presses and other equipment as required.
- When requested, reports for emergency snow removal, times can vary but tend to early AM. Removes snow from walks, steps, ramps, and parking lots by power equipment or shovel.
- May be required to direct lower classifications, permanent and temporary assigned personnel.
- Assists other trades that require a specific license or certification.
- Read blueprints and works from sketches, layouts or penciled drawings.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as material safety data sheets, operating manuals, and work orders. Ability to communicate effectively with Physical Plant customers (students, staff, faculty and visitors).
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math skills required when measuring, and performing take offs for miscellaneous jobs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral and diagrams or schedule form. Ability to assess quickly a variety of data in emergencies in order to develop effective solutions.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Must be knowledgeable of related OSHA and EPA regulations. Proficient in the use of computers and software applications. Reads blueprints and works from sketches, layouts or penciled drawings. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as weights and measure areas and board feet.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 7 years of work experience in three out of the five following trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, HVAC and electrical trades.
Please note, this position will require you to have a valid Colorado Driver's License and be insurable under University guidelines and have the ability to pass a pre-placement physical.
Pay: $21.19/hr + $0.65hr. night shift differential.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works: near moving mechanical parts, in outside weather conditions where they are exposed to wet, humid, and hot and cold conditions, around electricity, with chemicals and around fumes or airborne particles. Occasionally while performing the duties of this job, the employee works: in high places from extension ladders and scaffolding and in confined spaces. The noise level in the work environment ranges from low to high, but is usually moderate.
Moderate to strenuous physical effort is required. This position requires extended periods of standing, walking, using hands to handle, hold and control tools and objects, reaching with arms, stooping, kneeling or crawling. This job also requires pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying of objects of up to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Needs to identify and distinguish color.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Resume or application
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) ;Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, Human Performance Evaluation and verification of employment and educatio