Transactional Legal Fellow
Job no: 492790
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Legal Professionals
The Office of General Counsel provides legal advice and counsel on a broad spectrum of legal issues that arise in the operation of the University. It is also responsible for engaging the services of outside law firms for specialized legal needs, and for coordinating and supervising their work.
The University of Denver offers a legal fellowship to a graduate of an ABA-accredited law school, commencing as soon as possible. The fellowship is a one-year appointment with the opportunity for an additional year, depending on performance, mutual interest, and funding renewal.
The Transactional Legal Fellow will report to the University of Denver's Deputy General Counsel and will be a member of the Office of General Counsel staff, supporting transactional matters.
The Transactional Legal Fellow can expect to review and draft agreements, prepare memoranda of law, interact with other University of Denver departments, and assist in other duties involving the full scope of work in the Office of General Counsel.
The fellowship is an opportunity for attorneys with a demonstrated interest in the field of higher education and transactional law to work alongside and receive feedback and guidance from experienced in-house counsel while gaining exposure to the broad range of legal issues affecting a private, research university.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to grasp complex legal principles and explain them in non-technical language to administrators, staff, and faculty.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- Strong work ethic with a positive attitude.
- Self-starter, quick study, and the ability to manage deadlines.
- High ethical standards that reflect honesty, integrity, and reliability.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Applicant must be within 2 years of graduation.
- A strong background or demonstrated interest in higher education and/or transactional law.
- Admission (or pending admission) to the Colorado bar.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on November 15, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.