Advancement efforts at the University of Denver have a tremendous impact for our students and our community through enhanced resources secured from donors for scholarships, faculty positions, pioneering programs, and innovative facilities. Building lifelong relationships with our alumni, families, and friends is also a high institutional priority, understanding that consistent engagement and outreach efforts year after year will be required to build the culture of engagement and philanthropy that the University seeks. Advancement professionals at the University of Denver are relationship-focused, alumni and donor-centric, collaborative, ethical, and results-oriented. We are committed to unwavering standards of excellence and consistently challenge ourselves and each other to strive toward higher levels of achievement.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Employer Connections, the Assistant Director will build relationships on behalf of DU with local, national, and global employers by developing unique strategic recruiting plans. These plans will include the coordination of all aspects of the on-campus recruiting program including the planning and execution of; opportunities for student site visits, internships, co-ops, full-time employment, student projects, customized programming (info sessions and meetups), driving employer attendance to career fairs, executive education opportunities, and developing new and creative ways to connect employers to the DU community. The Assistant Director will also develop strong internal ties throughout the University of Denver as an employer expert who will help employers connect with faculty, staff, and programs. Not only will s/he represent DU to employers, but they will also represent employers to DU staff and faculty. S/he will also partner as a liaison to employer relations professionals embedded in the Sturm College of Law, Daniels College of Business, and Korbel School of International Studies.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, busy, multi-tasking environment and work with different teams within the Career & Professional Development community. Must be available to work some evenings with responsibilities to assist with employers and events. Must demonstrate a commitment to the principles of multiculturalism and diversity through involvement and participation in university/division-wide projects and initiatives.
- Create, maintain, and enhance existing and new employer relationships from assigned industry sectors developing both domestic and international internship, co-op and full-time employment opportunities for students and alumni.
- Work directly and independently with employer representatives and decision makers to evaluate and understand their recruiting needs and perform needs analysis.
- Develop creative, customized recruiting plan and manage deliverables.
- Create strategies to develop employer partnerships for industry-specific career opportunities in conjunction with academic departments and alumni.
- Assist with event planning and promotion for employer-related events.
Work creatively to host employers on campus, in a wide variety of ways, that cater to both the need of the employer as well as the needs of our student population.
- Assist the Executive Director in leading external and internal employer related meetings.
Partnerships & University Citizenship
- Manage relationships and build partnerships across the university including other internal career services offices, faculty and staff.
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and other campus colleagues, to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative practices.
- Act as subject matter expert in relation to assigned industries, maintaining continued knowledge of the local, regional and national trends in those industries
- Model One DU leadership.
- Operations & communications program support
- Manages all aspects of the On-campus Recruiting Program and the events that are generated through outreach; Including coordination with advancement support teams (marketing, events, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from employers, staff, faculty, students, alumni, and the general public in an engaging and professional manner.
- High level of emotional intelligence demonstrated in previous work experiences, as well as outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Knowledge of current employment and economic trends.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, exhibiting strategic thinking, sound judgment, initiative, and flexibility.
- Knowledge of pertinent EEO laws and National Association for Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Conduct.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with systems, databases, software, social media, and technologies used to manage employers, recruiting, including career management systems such as 12Twenty, Handshake, Symplicity or other similar technologies.
- Knowledge of the DU Impact 2025 strategic plan.
- Ability to be entrepreneurial, creative, and comfortable with change.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (Veterans with equivalent combination of military certification/education and experience may substitute for the degree qualification).
- 3 years of professional work experience in employer relations, recruiting, sales or related field.
- Demonstrated customer service background.
- Proven experience building successful relationships with external stakeholders.
- Master's degree in business, communications, public relations, or related field.
- 5 years of professional work experience in employer relations, sales, recruiting or related field.
- Knowledge of technology, engineering, life and/or physical physical science fields.
- Experience in higher education, or similarly complex environment.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. some nights and weekends as required
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on November 25, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.