Job no: 492820
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Admission / Financial Aid
The University of Denver has the distinction of being the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, giving it a tradition of 150 years of academic excellence. The University of Denver college of professional and continuing studies, University College, is a leader in adult education, providing fully accredited and affordable educational experiences specifically designed for busy adults.
In the position of Admission Counselor, University College is seeking a dynamic individual to provide outstanding customer services to domestic and international inquiries, applicants, and current students. This position provides administrative assistance to and maintains recruiting and admission processes for incoming and continuing University College students. The individual must be able to process large amounts of data in a timely manner and facilitate communication and processes to the point of matriculation on all matters related to admission. This position will assist in the creation and updating of reports for use by all University College staff. The position requires a deep knowledge-base of University College programs, services, resources, policies, and procedures to provide a complete service experience for our students and prospective students. The focus of this position is on building and strengthening relationships with prospective and current, adult learners through the cultivation of a welcoming and inclusive environment, allowing them to achieve their educational goals. Applicants should align with our values: honor the individual, champion learning, transforms lives, work together, and pursue excellence.
- Provide admission counseling to prospective students and applicants promptly and efficiently in regards to admission concerns, providing a high level of customer service.
- Serve both domestic and international applicants, including graduate and bachelor completion applicants and as such, must have working knowledge of policies and processes related to these populations.
- Serve as the initial customer contact (admissions) and will be required to have comprehensive knowledge of University College and University of Denver departments, policies, and procedures as well as being customer service focused.
- Facilitate basic technical support for applicants accessing the university admission system.
- Receive and process, with high level of accuracy, all admission applications (certificates and degrees) and admission related documents such as transcripts, letters of recommendation and fees.
- Manage documentation related to admission review and new student activities, manages transfer credit process, compiles necessary information for application, and prepares for and participates in review process.
- Track provisional admission.
- Process and track international applicant documents.
- Use Slate and Banner to effectively process applications, run reports on inquiries, applicants, enrollments, headcount and other pertinent student information.
- Engage in positive, productive, professional, and interpersonal relationships throughout the University of Denver by establishing close working relationships with colleagues, constituents and senior management.
- Participate in and contribute to appropriate committees, activities, and events.
- Active member of Student Services Team and assist other team members when needed.
- Act as liaison between University College and other university offices including the Office of International Admission, International
- Student and Scholar Services, and the Registrars Office.
- Assist with organization and facilitation new student orientations and related activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate information pertinent to the success in university environment, such as reports, business correspondence, course descriptions, program proposals, and procedure manuals.
- Strong ability to multitask, to utilize professional judgment, take initiative and meet deadlines, and focus on detail.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- High School diploma.
- Experience in a customer service role, with communication via in person interaction, by phone, and by e-mail.
- Bachelors degree.
- Experience working at a university or college and understanding of academic policies and procedures.
- University admission experience.
- Experience working with adult learners in a service capacity.
- Experience with Banner and Slate database systems.
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management system.
- Knowledge of international student needs and requirements.
- Familiarity with U.S. institution transcript evaluations.
- Reporting capabilities and strategic planning and projecting skills.
- Experience in guiding individuals through a decision making process.
1. Standard office environment.
2. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
3. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
1. Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time.
2. Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 20 lbs.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on December 2, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $18.90 - $19.35.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.