Job no: 492825
Work type: Staff Part-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Marketing / Communications / Media
The University of Denver College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences is looking for a passionate, self-motivated storyteller to join our team as a Website Copywriter.
As the Website Copywriter, you will be responsible for copy written for newly designed websites for the College and its departments, centers and institutes. You must be an excellent storyteller and be comfortable writing in a variety of tones to appeal to a wide audience, including a teenage audience, to increase engagement to the website. You will be responsible for writing and editing website content written in alignment with style, tone and brand guidelines.
You will collaborate closely with teammates throughout the College and the Division of Marketing and Communications to produce digital copy that reflects varying organizational and business objectives. You will research, plan, write and analyze methodology for digital writing and leverage analytics and user testing to gauge effectiveness. You will build pages on the site based on outlines and add content. It is important that you have a strong knowledge of website platforms, SEO writing practices and content marketing strategy.
This is a non-benefited position with flexible part-time hours not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Research, plan, write and edit inspiring, informative, engaging and audience-relevant copy for newly designed websites
- Update online content via content management systems, Drupal and Gather Content
- Coordinate with external agencies and internal team members on a wide variety of website projects
- Use customer insights, digital reporting, and campaign dashboards to change content in line with user/constituent requirements
- Work with UX designers to create and modify page layouts to support content, user and business objectives
- Optimize campaigns and content for SEO, using keyword tools, reconciling written content against SEO metrics
- Consult with College and MarComm leadership on voice, tone and style of content
- Write additional newsroom stories and content as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent storytelling skills, impeccable grammar, and ability to write specifically for web/digital platforms in the English language to support specific audiences
- Ability to research, plan and write and edit web copy on deadline
- Demonstrated career success in web writing with ability to interpret content/style and brand guidelines
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills and the ability to clearly communicate in both oral and written forms
- Ability to generate creative ideas and also lead execution of these ideas
- Ability to identify sources for research and draft copy with limited direction
- Creative production leadership skills and a meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability to edit web content for accuracy and completion
- Ability to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with others to achieve organizational goals
- Must provide exceptional service to both internal and external clients and constituents, including responding promptly to issues and challenges
- Positive outlook and professional demeanor; tactful, diplomatic approach with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, detail-driven environment
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience writing copy for web platforms
- Demonstrated exceptional writing skills, with a focus on writing for web/digital platforms
- Experience with open-source CMS platforms such as Wordpress; Drupal experience is preferred
- 2+ years of professional experience writing copy specifically for web platforms and editing online content in a variety of formats
- Understanding of layout design including grid systems and page structure
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office Suite; experience with GatherContent preferred
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on December 5, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter
- Portfolio website or at least three writing examples
- Three reference contacts
Questions about the position should be directed to Evanne Seelig, digital communications manager. Evanne.Seelig@du.edu
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check