The University of Denver (DU) has the distinction of being the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, giving it a tradition of 150 years of academic excellence. The University of Denver’s college of professional and continuing studies, University College, is a leader in adult education, providing fully accredited and affordable educational opportunities specifically designed for busy adults since 1938.
University College seeks a dynamic, creative Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications to produce content, execute marketing strategy, and develop marketing and communications plans.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, the Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications produces the creative assets for marketing and communications initiatives for University College’s credit and non-credit program portfolios, which comprise over 100 academic programs and enroll nearly 10,000 students, across multiple channels and platforms. The position works closely with the Senior Director to develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan. The position will execute a range of marketing, branding, and communication efforts for University College and its partners, including writing, designing, and editing multichannel communications.
The Assistant Director will have the latitude to make necessary strategic decisions and adjustments to improve performance based on analytics. The individual serves as the primary facilitator of community in online social spaces and manages paid and organic social media, the University College blog, and content for the University College website.
The position will consult with a range of University College stakeholders on marketing and communication best practices, including advising and supporting academic program teams on recruitment and enrollment efforts, and will be responsible for updating and maintaining creative communication initiatives to effectively share information and build engagement with prospective and current students, staff, and faculty.
The Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications will follow best practices in marketing with a focus on continuing education marketing, and will align with University Colleges core values: honor the individual, champion learning, transform lives, work together, and pursue excellence.
Execute Day-to-Day Creative Development
- Write and design branded content for emails, advertisements, social media, letters, brochures, flyers, and other materials as needed
- Develop communication plans and ideas for program promotion
- Execute strategic internal and external marketing and communication initiatives
- Manage digital ad campaigns, including writing content, choosing imagery, and tracking performance
- Execute paid and organic social media strategy, including but not limited to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube
- Develop content for University College blog and website
- Ensure accuracy of all content produced and alignment with University College and University of Denver brands
- Create or oversee production of video content for use on the web
- Work within University College systems, such as Slate and ReGroup, to execute communication to stakeholder audiences
Assess Content Effectiveness
- Be data-driven in the approach to creating effective content that results in a return on investment
- Identify relevant target audiences and craft content to appeal to various audiences
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and internal stakeholders to contribute to enrollment, recruitment, and retention efforts
- Provide excellent service to internal stakeholders and University College partners
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Strong eye for design and ability to execute intermediate design tasks
- Strategic understanding of marketing, communications, and branding
- Detail-oriented and creative while still managing multiple projects
- Goal-oriented, entrepreneurial, and self-starter who is flexible
- Strong leadership skills and is effective leading projects/initiatives, and collaborates easily with a variety of colleagues and stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni
- Effective at working independently
- Proactively seeks opportunities to improve performance and processes, and pursues collaborations and initiatives. Anticipates challenges/issues, develops appropriate and effective solutions, and executes them
- High degree of emotional intelligence, and strong intercultural appreciation and awareness
- Deep analytical, critical, and creative thinking ability
- A strong work ethic, high level of professionalism, and can effectively manage multiple tasks
- Strong data analysis orientation, including collecting, evaluating and interpreting, and using data to inform decision making
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years of marketing experience
- Master’s degree in marketing, business, journalism, or a related field
- 5 plus years of marketing experience with higher education and/or continuing education focus
- Demonstrated experience in InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator
- Experience in Google Analytics
- Experience with Slate
1. Standard office environment.
2. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
3. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
1. Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time.
2. Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 20 lbs.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on January 27, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Two Writing Sample (examples: blog post, article, advertisement, web copy, promotional email, etc.)
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.