Manager of Business and Operations - Korbel School of International Studies
Job no: 492960
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Business Operations / Services, Accounting / Finance
The Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver is an interdisciplinary professional school of international studies that prepares students for careers in the public, private and non-profit sectors. The School offers six masters degrees and two undergraduate degrees, and houses several research centers and institutes. Our masters programs are ranked 14th in the world by Foreign Policy magazine and provide students with the knowledge, skills and networks to design policies, implement programs, and realize outcomes that enhance human capabilities around the world. The Korbel School is a mission-driven institution. Through our teaching, research and direct engagement we are taking on the great challenges of our time: making the global economy more equitable and inclusive, responding to new and emerging security threats, advancing human rights and social justice, combating climate change, and promoting healthy democracy.
Josef Korbel School of International Studies is recruiting for a Manager of Business and Operations reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations. This position will assist the Director in managing and reporting the business operations of Korbel. This individual is responsible for processing and reporting on the divisions financial transactions; developing and implementing new accounting and financial processes and procedures to improve efficiency and quality of the department. In addition, the Manager will produce and assist in the development of reports for constituents in the division and assist with ensuring compliance regarding the use of divisional resources.
- In partnership with the Director of Finance and Operations, manage a variety of business functions and programs ensuring efficient and effective operations.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Operations in current year forecasting and future year budget development.
- Provides financial expertise and ongoing support regarding financial and budget issues.
- Provides oversight and support of direct pays, journal entries, contracts, purchases orders, invoices, requisitions, and any other transactional needs.
- Coordinates expense and P-Card review and approval, ensuring that employees are following University policy.
- Assists with contract submission with Requisition and P.O., handling more complete contracts and requisition requests.
- Monitors all current-year activity including keeping detailed records of financial commitments.
- Assists the Director with the financial management of gift funds, grant funds and endowment as needed.
- Support in HR and payroll functions such as hiring processes, oversight of payroll, time and attendance.
- Creates and enforces deadlines and expectations regarding division deliverables.
- Provides monthly reporting and updates to appropriate personnel with budgetary management responsibility.
- Interpret and/or modify policies and procedures to facilitate and ensure the application of sound business practices in the division and departments as needed.
- Perform budget analyses and assist in conducting budgetary forecasting in a financial environment with variable revenue and expenses.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Operations in the oversight of building operations including the issuance of office keys, and management of the C-Cure system.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrate an ability to expeditiously handle simultaneous requests and work as part of a team.
- Must be able to problem-solve, troubleshoot, and prioritize many different pieces of information and different processes.
- Knowledge of DU accounting systems such as Banner and Cognos.
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems and resolve issues on an ongoing basis.
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, customer service, and oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to oversee, compile, interpret, project, and analyze accounting and financial data.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of independence, maintain confidentiality, prioritize assignments and division needs.
- Computer literacy and advanced proficiency in Microsoft software applications, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years of experience working in an office environment.
- 2 of which include full-time experience working with payroll, human resources processes, and/or financial data.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- 3 years of experience working in higher education
- 5+ years of financial experience
- Knowledge of Banner, Concur, and Kronos
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on February 25, 2020
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.