Information Technology (IT) is the unified IT organization that supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University by providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DU’s Impact 2025, the division aligns IT resources with University and unit strategic goals and operational plans, providing service in the spirit of “One DU”.
The IT Architecture & Engineering (A&E) team is responsible for implementation, operation and support of all hardware, servers and datacenter infrastructure required in support of university applications and services. This includes but is not limited to physical servers, operating systems, storage, virtual server infrastructure, AAA services, utilities, networking and data center infrastructure (power, cooling, UPS).
Architecture and Engineering Systems Engineer III requires a broad background covering VMware infrastructure, storage management, Microsoft technologies, Linux administration, networking, load-balancing, information security and general IT service deployment, administration and maintenance. This position will primarily be responsible for Tier 3 oversight and administration of DU’s VMware Infrastructure environment. This position will assist with the design and implementation of new hardware, applications, and cloud-based solutions in support of the University of Denver user community. The Systems Engineer III consults with employees, faculty, students and researchers on the use of technology necessary to meet university objectives. The Systems Engineer III collaborates with university department members, where needed, to identify areas where the IT team can lend assistance in the identification, acquisition and implementation and of technical solutions.
- Senior Subject Matter Expert – IT Infrastructure.
- IT Project support.
- Tier 3 application, system and network support.
- Developing and maintaining technical infrastructure documentation.
- Developing and maintaining technical standards, processes and procedures.
- New technology research, analysis and recommendation.
- Installing operating system software, patches and upgrades.
- Configuration and management of Environment Monitoring System – alerting and notification thresholds.
- Performing system backups and recovery.
- Conducting server builds.
- Supporting and maintaining University authentication, authorization and accounting (AAA) solutions to include Shibboleth, ADFS, CAS and SAML.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal communication and service skills when dealing with both technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to work with other system engineers and clients/customers on small and larger projects.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely. Ability to prioritize projects according to customers’ and university needs with minimal or no direction.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least 5 years of experience managing VMware environment.
- At least 5 years of experience managing Microsoft Windows server environments.
- At least 5 years of experience in TCP/IP route/switch environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- VMware Certified Associate.
- Microsoft MCSE.
- Cisco CCNP.
- Proficient in at least 3 of the following:
- Microsoft Windows/Active Directory administration
- Veeam Backup and Restore
- Red Hat Linux Administration
- O365 Administration
- Network design and administration (Cisco, Aruba, Meraki)
- Hitachi Storage operations and maintenance
- Intermediate knowledge of Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity concepts and design.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, July 13, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.