Manager of Strategic Sourcing
Job no: 493242
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Business Operations / Services
The Shared Services Center is comprised of a diverse group of experts in multiple fields. Our passion is working together and collaborating with other departments to reduce administrative burden on Faculty and Staff so that they can focus on supporting the education of our students. We strive to be a trusted and innovative partner delivering exemplary administrative services in support of the DU community.
The Manager of Strategic Souring will support the Procurement and Contract Services team in developing an effective strategic sourcing program. This position has responsibility for developing and implementing a strategic sourcing program to leverage University spend, decrease the time to purchase, and may have the opportunity to source and implement an e-procurement marketplace for the DU community.
They will develop and manage vendor relationships to meet the goals of the strategic sourcing program, including the development of master agreements, catalog pricing, vendor performance and quality management programs, such as supplier scorecards and data presentations. Ensures continuous process improvement and innovation to enhance relationships between the University and key vendors. As this develops and they need arises, there may be the opportunity to they will manage a team to support this initiative.
As the Manager of Strategic Sourcing, you will be the most influential player in forming and managing positive relationships with DU vendors and identifying the needs of the DU community. The ideal candidate for this position is:
- Passionate about being at the development and implementation phase of a new strategic sourcing program and the opportunity to implement new technology.
- An excellent communicator on all platforms.
- Unsatisfied with the phrase "We've always done it this way."
- Driven by identifying solutions that create value for the DU Community.
- Practices sound judgment in decision making.
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people with varying levels of proficiency.
- Determined to see a problem through until a solution that is best for the customer is found.
- Excited to be part of a team of experts and innovators.
- Develop, administer, evaluate, and implement a strategic sourcing program for the University of Denver. Including identifying strategic sourcing opportunities and managing vendor relationships.
- Prioritize strategic sourcing initiatives and manage workload distribution.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of the strategic sourcing process, engaging the Procurement and Contract Services team resources to ensure that project deliverables are achieved on schedule.
- Oversee the strategic sourcing activities, analyze University data, establish effective vendor partnerships, and incorporate feedback and input from University business officers, administrators, and faculty.
- Work to implement multi-year strategic alliances with suppliers to leverage University volume, reducing the number of vendors to an optimum number and encouraging University customers (buyers) to procure goods and services through pre-arranged supply channels so that the majority of purchases are made via contracts.
- Develop dashboard and reporting methodologies to track and measure achieved savings, process improvements, successes, and opportunities for improvement.
- Management of the necessary technology solutions for a successful strategic sourcing program, including sourcing, implementing, and on-going management of an e-procurement solution.
- If a Strategic Sourcing Analyst is hired, this position will supervise it.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Functional/technical expertise: Knowledge and ability to facilitate contract process and manage supplier relationships, ability to formulate effective sourcing strategies that accomplish performance and savings goals.
- Communication Skills: Ability to make clear and convincing oral presentations to individuals or groups and facilitates an open exchange of ideas; Ability to persuade and gain cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals. Ability to negotiate to obtain the best value while maintaining a positive business relationship.
- Ability to have a positive, can do attitude to approach problems as exciting challenges.
- Ability to prioritize, is self-directed, action oriented, and forward thinking.
- Ability to implement and utilize technology solutions.
- Ability to motivate and manage staff to achieve goals of the program.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data management and reporting tools, including analyzing data using advanced tools in excel to formulate strategies.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically excel.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple concurrent tasks, meet critical deadlines and effectively manage changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to effect purchasing behavior changes at the individual, department and institutional level.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Five years of experience in strategic sourcing, supply management, procurement, or related experience.
- Practical experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software and e-procurement technology.
- Professional certification, such as CPM, CPSM, CPPB or CPPO.
- Experience using Banner, or similar ERP.
- Professional experience in a higher education environment.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, September 21, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.