Research Assistant, Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging
Job no: 493485
Work type: Postdoc / Research / Fellow
Location: Denver, CO
The Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging (KIHA) brings together key strengths from around campus and the region to address growing needs here in Denver and throughout the nation. Designed to address complex problems in depth, the Institute builds on DUs dedication to the public good by supporting research and scholarship on aging in a variety of disciplines. Lab scientists, social workers, psychologists, lawyers, education specialists, business faculty members, and others are routinely involved. The work of the Institute is truly collaborative work, leveraging the assets of the DU community in the discovery and design of knowledge and engagement across our campus and around the world.
The Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging has an exciting opportunity for a Research Assistant to join Dr. Daniel Paredes laboratory located at the University of Denver in Denver, CO. This is an externally funded full-time benefitted position to manage a research laboratory and independently perform molecular biology experiments, with metabolomics studies focused on inflammatory processes associated with neurodegeneration. The candidate should be able to independently perform rodent surgery, microdialysis and behavior, maintaining meticulous laboratory records and communicate results and updates to laboratory staff.
- Work closely with laboratory staff to coordinate research studies.
- Routinely conduct assays using molecular and biochemistry techniques such as immunohistochemistry, elisa, western blot, capillary electrophoresis and HPLC with electrochemical detection.
- Work with rodents including performing stereotaxic surgery and intracerebral microdialyisis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft office, including Excel and Word, willing to work flexible hours, and willing to work as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work in a professional manner as both a self-starter and a team member.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong enthusiasm for science, with possibility to gain authorship on scientific manuscripts and present data at conferences.
- Willing to learn and use new processes, tools, and equipment and work weekends, as required.
- Master's degree in Neuroscience or Immunology.
- 3-5 years of experience on capillary zone electrophoresis wit fluorescence induced by laser.
- 3-5 years of experience on intracerebral microdialysis in rodents.
- 3-5 years of experience in neuro immunology laboratory techniques.
- Master's degree in neuroscience, immunology, cell biology, molecular biology or biology related field with at least 3 years of lab experience in a neuroscience, molecular or cell biology laboratory techniques.
- Experience with capillary electrophoresis analysis and HPLC, rodent surgery and behavior.
- Previous experience with histopathology, preferably brain tissue.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on March 1, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is GE.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.