The Division of Marketing and Communications serves as a strategic advisor to partners and units across campus, purposefully fulfilling partners goals and objectives, helping to increase knowledge, support enrollment and engage students, alumni, faculty and staff. The division proactively shapes the University's brand and optimizes the University's reputation internally and externally in a transparent manner. In words, in pictures, online and in the news media, the Division of Marketing & Communications shares the many stories of how DU and its people are improving the human condition, for the purpose of advancing the University's strategies. The team specializes in brand management, strategic communication, community engagement, media relations, digital and social media strategy, website development, content training and strategy, print and online publications, and videography and photography.
The Copy Editor is responsible for editing content published across University of Denver Marketing & Communications-owned platforms (news.du.edu; The Bridge newsletter; The University of Denver Magazine; scripts for videos; email marketing; etc.). This position requires an excellent editor who is familiar with AP Style, able to master an in-house style guide, and comfortable with light fact-checking. This position is responsible for editing content written in alignment with tone and brand guidelines. The Copy Editor is also expected to produce and oversee content production for a range of periodicals and newsletter departments.
- Copy edit and fact check (where necessary) content for DU-owned digital channels and print publications.
- Rewrite copy as needed to ensure coherence.
- Review magazine galleys and printers proofs.
- Review online proof of twice-weekly internal newsletter, checking links and facts as necessary.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Work collaboratively and enthusiastically with others to achieve organizational goals.
- Exceptional copy-editing skills.
- Must be familiar with AP Stylebook guidelines.
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Competency reviewing PDF files.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Creative Writing, Journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 4+ years of professional experience editing content across a variety of digital and print channels.
- Master's degree or higher in English, Creative Writing, Journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience working in a higher education field.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on April 14, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 8.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $54,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (i.e. published article, short academic paper, etc.)
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.