Conference & Event Services (CES) delivers exceptional service, resources and support to events on the University of Denver (DU) campus. While upholding the University's integrity, values and inclusive engagement, CES cultivates strategic relationships with its internal DU partners to ensure the success of outreach to local, national, and global organizations. CES provides services to clients for the exploration, discussion, and enactment of issues and topics germane to a variety of important areas that include civic, political, non-profit, educational, and business.
Primary duties for the Manager of Summer Conferencing include all aspects of planning summer housing, dining and meeting operations, sales, scheduling, client retention and website management. Implementation of key components of the office business plan with emphasis on generating positive exposure for the University. This position works closely with campus vendors/departments, external vendors, and the university community to facilitate complex and seamless internal and external event production. This position will serve as a primary point of communication for clients needing summer housing, dining and meeting space and is responsible for the development of contracts that comply with established policies. Responsible for the supervision of designated student event staff and client compliance with University policies and procedures. Has responsibility for making decisions on hiring, disciplinary action, and pay adjustments as it pertains to summer programming. This position will make excellent service a priority to ensure high quality service with clients, campus and external service partners, subcontractors, consultants and DU staff.
- Manage the sales, scheduling, planning, and housing/dining/meeting activities for external clients, campus departments, and internship housing for the development of new, revenue generating events, particularly but not limited to summer programming.
- Responsible for client retention for summer conference groups.
- Advise event management staff and assist the Associate Director of Sales, Marketing & Summer Conferencing with the development and implementation of business plan; negotiate with customers and service providers.
- Manage financial and contractual agreements while ensuring all budgetary expectations are being met.
- Maintain good relationships and communications with campus community and service partners.
- Manage the administration of housing management software- StarRez.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives to increase business efficiency and revenue generation.
- Provide positive organizational representation at various public functions; communicate effectively in oral, written and technological forums; represent university at conferences.
- Responsible for policy implementation, process development and training for staff, service administration, safety, security, and emergency response as it applies to summer conferencing.
- Manage external and internal events during slower periods of the summer planning process.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with on campus service providers.
- Prepare pre- and post-event analysis, assess opportunities; provide written recommendations for improving services to constituencies.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the user/client experience.
- Manage the departments website, social media accounts, and graphic design needs.
- Create sales proposals for potential clients.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as proficiency with office equipment.
- Sales experience and proficient in Microsoft Office, internet searches, and ability to understand and willingness to learn event management software and processes.
- Self-motivated, take initiative and have great problem solving skills.
- Ability to negotiate effectively and resolve conflict while upholding the integrity of the department and the University of Denver.
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of related experience in summer conferencing (housing, dining, meeting accommodations) and event management.
- Masters Degree or equivalent experience.
- Seven plus years of experience managing summer conferences and events in an academic setting.
- Certified Event Planner.
- Ungerboeck (EBMS) software, and 25Live scheduling software.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, April 26th, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 9.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $57,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.