Enrich the University of Denver's global prominence and community impact through excellence in innovative Facilities Services.
Through exceptional customer service, we provide sustainable stewardship to the university community that creates an engaging and thriving environment to learn, live, teach and work.
- Stewardship: We effectively use all resources to meet the needs of today without compromising the future. We work in a safe manner using equipment and procedures as appropriate and encourage others to do the same. We maintain confidences and protect the security of operations and assets by keeping information confidential and equipment/facilities secure. We demonstrate efficient use of time, equipment, and other resources with a focus on sustainable operations and best practices.
- Teamwork: We work together cooperatively in support of our mission. We value individuals and their contributions to the team and treat each other with respect and dignity. We actively work to create and support an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. We communicate honestly and openly, listen attentively, and assume responsibility for resolving difficulties appropriately. We encourage cooperation, collaboration, and co-ownership of success.
- Professionalism: We earn the trust of others through professional conduct that includes honesty, reliability, and competency. We exhibit a courteous, conscientious and businesslike manner in the workplace. We actively endorse and support DU's mission and work to fulfill its vision, mission, and goals. We pursue professional development to increase expertise and improve our capabilities to deliver improved job performance.
- Service: We contribute to the success of others by responding in a courteous, timely and accurate manner, seeking assistance when necessary to create a positive DU experience that exceeds the expectations of students, and internal and external contacts. We understand that our performance directly affects the future of DU and strive to perform to enhance the DU experience. We embrace a positive attitude and participate through engagement with changes in procedures, environment, or responsibilities.
- Integrity: We accept responsibility for the University's and public's trust and are accountable for individual actions. We conduct ourselves and perform our duties in an environmentally, socially, and economically responsible manner that is reflective and protective of the trust placed on us as stewards of the University's facility related resources.
- Excellence: We strive to achieve excellence in all endeavors and are committed to continuous improvement. We enthusiastically deliver quality services to our customers while consistently seeking to improve those services through creativity and innovation.
- Engagement: We seek to "tell our story" through collaboration, communication, and inclusion with the greater DU community. Through involvement, we ensure the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, visitors, and neighbors are met and efforts from each department are understood. We take every opportunity to augment the education and research mission of the university through demonstration of real world applications of theories and principles.
Under immediate supervision, this position performs grounds maintenance and landscape gardening work on all property owned by the University of Denver. This posting will serve for multiple openings.
This is a non-benefited position not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Lay sod, plant new shrubs, trees, and flowers.
- Operates truck, hand cart, dolly, hand truck and other equipment in the moving and setup of equipment on all university properties.
- Picks up, collects, removes litter and debris from all ground areas.
- Rototills, spades, rakes, weeds, and fertilizes flower-planting beds.
- Trims and /or prunes hedges, shrubs, and trees.
- Waters lawn and planted areas by hand or sprinkler systems.
- Moves various equipment, supplies, and furniture manually or by use of a truck.
- Reports complex repair needs to supervisor.
- Makes minor repairs to parking lots.
- Performs landscape installation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Reasoning ability: detailed, but easy to follow procedures.
- Daily priorities are established and frequently monitored by supervisor.
- Employee responds to situations requiring immediate attention
- Pass a pre-placement Physical.
- Please note, some positions require driving. In those cases, a valid driver's license is required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- One year experience in grounds gardening and/or nursery.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally will be exposed to wet and /or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Moderate to strenuous physical effort required. Workers must be able to withstand long periods of bending, crouching, sitting, standing, reaching and repetitive motions with the hand-wrist and elbow-shoulder. The employee must be able to work outside in all types of weather and lift, move and carry objects in excess of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus .
The hourly range for this position is $15.00 - $15.50.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers some benefits for non-benefited employees. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR), Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, Human Performance Evaluation and verification of employment and education.