The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DUs remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. The University of Denver and DU Advancement deeply value inclusive excellence, recognizing that its success is dependent on how well it values, engages, and includes the rich diversity of constituents. You can learn more about inclusive excellence at the University of Denver by visiting The Cultural Centers digital home. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of inclusive, collaborative, inquisitive, innovative, ethical, and transparent advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
Reporting to the Director of Engagement Marketing and working closely with senior Advancement leaders, the Associate Director, Creative Services and Web Development is the creative lead for all DU Advancement marketing and communications activities. This position will directly supervise and mentor the graphic design coordinator and manage a wide range of creative projects, serving as a key leader on the engagement marketing team and within the larger Creative Engagement team. They will lend their considerable creativity, design skills and energy toward developing engaging and captivating branded experiences across all channels to reach key audiences, including donors and alumni. They envision and ultimately bring fresh and forward-thinking approaches to engaging target audiences and establishing an approachable, interactive brand. They thrive in creative development settings, leading highly inclusive brainstorming and ideation sessions among stakeholders from across the Advancement team and the University. They listen to and reflect on others creative insights and transform vision into top-quality creative concepts and executions, from digital to print, from donor audiences of one requiring high-touch, personalized experiences to alumni audiences in the thousands requiring scaled yet immersive approaches. They have the ability to bring to life sometimes ambiguous, big picture concepts.
The Associate Director will demonstrate the ability to define, analyze, and lead creative solutions to complex problems and make sound decisions independently and with sometimes minimal supervision. They adeptly anticipate the needs of the project and show proactive thinking and leadership, while remaining focused under sometimes tight timelines, in meeting specified goals and deadlines, always delivering exceptional service. They are comfortable working with senior leaders.
Excellent creative, analytical, decision-making and interpersonal skills are required, as well as flexibility and the ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities and timelines. Strong project management skills are a must. The person in this role must demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence and exemplary stewardship of the lifelong relationship that the University of Denver maintains with its global network.
- Lead creative development for DU Advancement, supervising and managing the graphic design coordinator and working collaboratively with stakeholders across the University.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends in creative development and brand experience creation, always looking to remain at the forefront of design and brand expression.
- Utilize the University's brand guidelines to produce and continuously optimize a captivating visual style for DU Advancement that can be adapted to programs and products for a broad spectrum of audience demographics, including donors, alumni and students.
- Through creative development, provide a highly engaging visual expression of Advancements innovative new models of engaging alumni and donors.
- Serve as a brand ambassador, ensuring that all Advancement communications adhere to University Brand standards, including the brand visual guide, website design guide and editorial style guide.
Design, Content and Engagement Strategy
- Serve as the lead on Advancement web development projects which will include building and maintaining landing pages and microsites for multiple campaigns with engagement and giving goals.
- Facilitate the creation, exchange and execution of creative ideas and concepts.
- Lead the design of the full range of print and digital assets. Print assets include reports, proposals, signage, etc.
- Serve as primary point of contact for design and production vendors, ensuring top-quality results in work performed for the University.
- Lead creative brainstorming and strategy development for new projects and marketing campaigns while identifying ways to amplify storytelling throughout the year.
- Establish and maintain collaborative partnerships with peers, campus colleagues and senior leaders; strengthen ties across multiple departments.
- Receive feedback from many sources, with divergent points of view, and synthesize into creative, on-brand solutions that bring messages and ideas to life.
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and campus colleagues to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative marketing practices.
- Represent the interests of University Advancement in a variety of marketing and communications roles, including serving on University Advancement and campus-wide cross-functional teams.
- Model One DU leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to build and maintain engaging web properties based on overall project goals.
- Ability to honor the history of a 157-year-old institution while bringing the brand alive in new and interesting ways that engage audiences in the digital age.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Adept in using creative experiences and approaches within a brand framework to connect with a multi-generational audience.
- Excellent project management skills and proficient in handling multiple projects within tight deadlines and delegating as needed.
- Exceptional creative design skills and a meticulous attention to detail.
- Proficient in visual storytelling and the creation of infographics.
- Proficient with full Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
- Bachelor's degree in design or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience (Veterans with equivalent combination of military certification/education and experience may substitute for this qualification).
- 3 years of experience in graphic design with supporting design portfolio.
- 2 years of experience in web development.
- Experience managing external creative vendors (i.e. creative agencies, freelancers or production vendors).
- Internal or external creative agency experience.
- Experience in higher education or similar complex organization.
- Ability to create animated graphics.
- Experience with WordPress and Drupal.
- Experience in video production.
- Supervisory experience.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Some nights and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, June 21, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 11.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 - $75,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio or link to your portfolio
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.