Job no: 493940
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Maintenance / Grounds / Skilled Trades
The Department of Facilities Management supports the mission of the University of Denver's physical resources in order to provide a healthy and safe educational environment for campus community through services of the departments of Capital Projects and Planning, Facilities Management, Parking & Mobility Services, Auxiliaries & Real Estate, and Business & Operations.
This position performs skilled work in preparing surfaces for painting and wallpapering, applying paint and finishes to equipment, furniture, buildings, and other structures, and installing and repairing ceramic tile. Performs work independently and may also supervise lower classification assigned personnel.
- Ability to work variable shifts including nights, weekends and holidays as dictated by the event schedule.
- Prepares work area for painting by laying drop cloths; erects scaffolding; prepares the surface using burners, scrapers, sand paper, sanding machines, dusters, sizing, putty and tape; mixing and matching paints, stains, lacquers and enamels; applying paint and other finishes to a clarity of interior and exterior surfaces with brush, roller and spray equipment.
- Tapes and textures drywall and hangs various types of wallpaper.
- Plasters and repairs plaster.
- Installs and repairs ceramic tile.
- Cleans and maintains brushes and other equipment; cleans up work area after job is finished.
- Prepares estimates of material, time and labor; keeps records of material and labor; orders supplies.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with various building constituents through manual and electronic means.
- Proficiency with addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and any other such computations necessary to perform various tasks related to general maintenance.
- Ability to followed detailed instructions provided both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to envision projects from inception to completion and to provide a course of action for the successful accomplishment of the assigned tasks.
- Ability to make decisions under rigid time constraints and extreme pressure.
- Ability to receive direction from a number of sources and constituents and to choose the most prudent path of action.
- Moderate to expert painting skills.
- Competency in painting fields/functions, wallpaper, and ceramic tile.
- Knowledge of all types of painting and decorative equipment.
- Skill in plastering preferred.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Four years progressively responsible painting experience, with two years experience or training in ceramic tile and wall papering.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam, and lift 100 lbs.
- Familiar working with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) software, including WebTMA.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 06.
The hourly rate for the position is $22.15.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Pre-Employment Physical and Drug Screen.