Clerical Healthcare Administrative Specialist
Job no: 494361
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Student Health / Counseling, Business Operations / Services, Admin / Executive / Office Support
The mission of the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center (HCC) is to provide exceptional, inclusive, integrated health care. We promote student success and wellness through education, advocacy and outreach to the University of Denver community. The HCC is an on-campus health facility open 8am-5pm M-F with evening hours until 7pm one to two evenings a week during the academic year, and provides a wide range of on-site medical and mental health services. We are especially interested in considering applications from members of underrepresented groups, first generation college graduates or who work on topics related to these issues.
The Clerical Healthcare Administrative Specialist provides a high standard of service excellence to both internal and external customers; interacts with patients to resolve patient issues and questions; demonstrates a commitment to the financial success of the HCC; demonstrates a commitment to the HCC as a whole by adherence to policies and procedures. Demonstrates competence and initiative by performing a variety of functions, including the following: registering patients and scheduling patient visits efficiently and accurately; facilitating reception area activities; performing necessary computer tasks; scanning medical records accurately and in a timely manner; recording charges and fees accurately on patients accounts; collecting charges, as appropriate, and accurately recording the collection thereof, maintaining HCC provider (medical and mental health providers) schedules, a variety of billing responsibilities (correct coding, payment and 3rd party billing revenue capture, accounts receivable), insurance advocate for the students, member of committees within the HCC, Student Affairs and Inclusive Excellence; facilitates appropriate resolution of student issues and/or complaints; performs routine clerical duties as assigned. Coordinates and supports educational outreach programs and serves as liaison with various private, public, and university agencies.
Patient Scheduling Duties:
- Schedules patient appointments efficiently and accurately according to practice protocols.
- Prepares, updates, and maintains patient schedules, including confirming, rescheduling, and canceling patient appointments according to practice protocols.
- Coordinates patient flow and assures immediate priorities are satisfied such as registration, schedule changes, eligibility changes and students presenting in crisis or medical urgency.
- Verifies student health fee and insurance coverage.
- Answers insurance inquiries from students, staff and parents.
- Processes HCF (Health & Counseling Fee) and SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan) enrollments.
- Assists students with SHIP enrollment.
- Assures the accuracy of CPT and ICD-10 codes on patient visit according to the nature of the service rendered.
- Answers staff questions related to billing and collection.
- Notifies appropriate parties of any missing information.
- Generates patient’s bills for services rendered and records all collections.
- Provides information and instruction to patients about charges and billing options.
- Processes payments and the daily financial packet.
- Tracks accounts receivable and aging of accounts and generates reminder notices accordingly.
- Scans and updates patients electronic medical records, i.e. scan specialist referred visit notes, emergency room notes, prescription requests, etc., notifies referring provider or nurse for review.
- Answers the telephone promptly and courteously; routes callers; takes complete and accurate messages and relays the information to the appropriate person with accuracy, courtesy, and speed.
- Provides routine information via phone, e-mail and face to face.
- Monitors patient needs in the reception area.
- Maintains neat, clean, and safe work area.
- Performs clerical duties such as copying forms, mailing brochures, requests for records, letters, and other clerical duties upon request of the upper level staff.
- Interacts with patients, visitors, and HCC staff in a courteous manner, and demonstrates a sincere initiative in meeting patient needs.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient and institutional material in accordance with FERPA and HIPAA regulations.
- Maintains positive behaviors and attitudes; demonstrates commitment to interpersonal service towards patients, visitors, and co-workers.
** The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of personnel in this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite Products.
- Knowledge of basic office equipment (phone, fax, copier, credit card machine, etc.).
- Typing minimum 40 words/minute.
- Computer data entry.
- Associates Degree or 2-5 years customer service in a healthcare environment.
- 2-5 years customer service related experience.
- Experience with computerized data collection, billing and account tracking systems.
- Working knowledge of medical billing and coding.
- Bachelors Degree.
- Experience in medical coding and terminology.
- Experience in Electronic Medical Record software.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, exemplary written and oral communication skills, and strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Work effectively with diverse constituents.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information in accordance with University, State and Federal guidelines.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with up to two evenings per week until 7:00pm during the academic year.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, October 12th, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 8.
The hourly range for the position is $23.00-$25.40.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.