Assistant Director for Private Sector Opportunities
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law, a Top 75 U.S. law school and a national leader in experiential learning, seeks to hire an innovative, knowledgeable, and dedicated career services professional to serve as an Assistant Director for Private Sector Opportunities within its Office of Career Development and Opportunities (CDO). Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Career Opportunities, and working closely with the Director of External Relations and with other members of the CDO team, the Assistant Director for Private Sector Opportunities will spur efforts to expand professional opportunities for students and alumni, with an emphasis on the private sector. The Assistant Director will have an up-to-date, market-relevant understanding of the variety of legal practice settings available to students trained in law, including law firms (solo, boutique, mid-sized, and large), accounting firms, consulting firms, financial services companies, start-ups, and other for-profit entities.
Located in one of the nations most beautiful urban centers, the University of Denver features a distinguished and internationally recognized faculty, an outstanding and diverse student body, a motivated and highly professional staff, and an alumni base that has achieved distinction in law, business, government, public interest, and other professional domains. The city of Denver, the state of Colorado, and the Rocky Mountain region are characterized by a dynamic and diverse legal market and are home to numerous innovative and successful law firms, accounting firms, corporations, and other private sector employers.
- Provide professional career counseling in one-on-one and small-group settings to students and alumni.
- Develop and enhance programming designed to expand private-sector opportunities for students and alumni.
- Engage in outreach designed to expand and strengthen relationships with current and prospective private-sector employers.
- Work closely with the Externship Program to cultivate and steward private sector employers.
- Expand networking opportunities for Denver Law students through LinkedIn and other means.
- Work with the CDO team to compile, review, and report employment statistics in an accurate and comprehensive manner.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and alumni to expand professional opportunities for students.
- Undertake other duties as assigned based on the evolving needs of the CDO and the law school.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to relate well and to build productive relationships with all CDO constituencies including students, alumni, employers, faculty and staff.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as resumes, cover letters, job descriptions, personal statements and applicable university policies.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as good grammar, editing and proofreading skills.
- The ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously to meet the needs of the CDO, the law school and its constituents.
- The ability to be flexible and efficiently adapt in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of email correspondence, student and employer meetings, and other competing demands on time.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with technology, especially the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to work in a high-performance setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on a variety of projects and with a variety of constituents.
- JD or equivalent from an accredited law school.
- A minimum of two years of legal experience in one or more relevant areas, including legal practice, business, or higher education administration.
- Detailed knowledge of the evolving market for legal services.
- A strong compliance orientation.
- A strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Strong legal market knowledge and professional network in the legal profession, particularly in the Private Sector.
- Experience with the Symplicity Career Services System.
- Career Services office experience ideally at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in a jurisdiction.
Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm. Occasional evening and weekend events.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on October 15, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 11.
The salary range for this position is $64,000 - $72,000
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.