The Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW) is a vibrant community of scholars and teachers committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in social work education and research. The School’s curriculum, research, and community partnerships emphasize social and racial justice. GSSW provides an intellectual, collegial, and supportive environment that fosters interdisciplinary and international educational opportunities. GSSW engages in collaborative research projects locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. GSSW and the University of Denver are committed to enhancing the diversity of students, faculty, and staff.
The Executive Assistant to the Dean reports directly to the Dean and is responsible for managing the Deans Office and supporting the Dean in administrative details of managing the School and project management. The responsibilities are diverse and range from directly supporting the Dean by managing the Deans schedule, arranging travel itineraries, and overseeing various components of the Deans suite operations, to providing administrative support to various faculty and staff committees, and preparing written communications and reports for a number of stakeholder groups. This position serves as an initial point of contact for a variety of constituencies within the school, the university, and the larger community. The person in this position must have excellent written and verbal communication skills with superb capacity for discretion and discernment. The Executive Assistant is expected to promote the values of social justice, inclusive excellence, and inter-departmental collaboration in the spirit of One DU and to represent the Dean.
In addition to following the University of Denver’s policies and procedures, principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain calendar and schedule for the dean; prepare preparatory materials for meetings; coordinate group meetings, including but not limited to, organizing catering, parking and other supports for guests; and managing travel arrangements and reconciling all purchasing card transactions.
- Perform the secretarial & clerical duties for the office of the dean, including but not limited to preparing letters of appointment, welcoming guests, administrative assignments, and promotion and tenure reviews; maintaining faculty personnel files; and maintaining office supplies for the dean.
- Provide administrative support to chairs of faculty committees and other faculty leaders at the school related to screening and recruitment (including but not limited to all related candidate travel and coordinating and facilitating on-campus interviews), promotion and tenure, reappointment reviews, faculty of the whole meetings, and as appropriate.
- Lead and implement special projects that advance the school in partnership with the dean and associate deans, including synthesizing data into reports and creating presentations.
- Provide orientation and onboarding assistance for new employees.
- Update Faculty/Staff Operations and Administration Manual (and allied materials) and GSSWs internal online site on an on-going basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- This position requires excellent communication skills, written and verbal; ability to convey information to others; ability to follow directions efficiently and accurately; ability to accurately research, draft and/or edit written materials.
- Ability to foster an open, welcoming, and inclusive community with attention to policies, procedures, and activities that will promote a sense of belonging.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to prioritize, strategize, and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Ability to be precise and accurate with details.
- Ability to work independently, use professional judgement, make decisions, take initiative when needed, and be forward thinking in order to plan ahead.
- Ability to meet assignments within a deadline under stressful situations.
- Ability to work well with others, be courteous.
- Ability to communicate well with students, faculty, staff, upper-administration and the community.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to learn new software and university level systems and platforms.
- Basic mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals are needed.
- Ability to assist, where necessary, the directors of community engagement, student services, and advancement and alumni engagement to plan and implement meetings and social events for the dean.
- Ability to work across central DU departments to gather and distill data for stakeholder reports and decision-making.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent office training.
- Extensive project management, communication, and computer and technological skills.
- Secretarial experience in a university setting.
- Experience in university employment procedures.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on October 26th, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 9.
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.