The College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (CAHSS) is the largest and most diverse academic unit of the University of Denver (DU), where students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed at nearly any career in todays global society.
CAHSS is committed to fostering a community of excellence, innovation, engagement, integrity, and inclusiveness. We see first-hand the educational, artistic, and scholarly benefits of creating and maintaining an accessible and equitable experience for all in our college, priorities that strengthen our academic community of learners and knowledge makers. As such, we strive to comprise a student body and faculty and staff that represent diverse peoples and perspectives, and to offer curriculum and skills that help prepare students for ethical and engaged citizenship in today’s global society. Our intentional commitment to advance diversity, equity and inclusion remains critical to CAHSSs mission of providing a robust liberal and creative arts education in service to the larger public good.
The primary duty of the CAHSS Dean’s Office Business Coordinator position is to provide administrative support across the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (CAHSS) Dean’s Office. The Business Coordinator also manages the daily business functions of the Dean’s Office proper located in Sturm Hall. Duties are cast across a wide array falling into the areas of departmental support in routine business operations and the day-to-day oversight of the CAHSS main administrative office. The position reports directly to the Director of Business and Operations and will work closely with the College’s Business Officers and Facilities Coordinator. The Business Coordinator will also work on special assignment to the Dean and Associate Deans. The ideal candidate must be able to work independently under general direction, function well on teams, and must also be able to provide excellent service to students, faculty, and staff from units across CAHSS and DU under a variety of circumstances; therefore, the candidate must possess strong, professional communications skills and a solid sense of business acumen.
BUSINESS AND OPERATIONS SUPPORT
- Assist the College’s departments with general business operations support and staff vacancies.
- Serve as the Dean’s Office liaison for travel, expense, and reimbursements to the College’s faculty and staff.
- Acts as the business manager for College-level centers and programs, when no other staff support has been assigned, under the direction of the College’s Business Officers.
- This may include The Center for Art Collection Ethics (ACE), Center for Innovation in the Liberal and Creative Arts (CILCA), and the Diversity, Equity & Inclusivity program, and the First-Generation Student Support program, but will evolve as direct staff support becomes available.
- Assist the CAHSS Business Officers with departments’ budget development, strategic financial planning, and fund management.
- Assist with day-to-day financial processes such as the collection and processing of receipts for internal operations and visitors.
- Assist with special projects and/or provide coverage as needed in the Dean’s Office and Across the College.
- Train new staff in basic business operations processes, systems, and protocols.
- Manage communications and tracking for internal business and operations processes.
- Manage budgets related to materials, supplies, and facilities for designated departments within CAHSS.
- Manage the desktop reference program, including the creation of and revision to reference materials outlining college policies and procedures.
- Assist with a wide range of human resources processes, including hiring and onboarding.
- Support CAHSS’ senior leadership with special projects and initiatives and other duties as assigned.
GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Oversee the monitoring of the Dean’s Office email and voicemail accounts.
- Manage the physical space within the CAHSS Dean’s Office, ensuring that the space is arranged in a way which supports the professional functions of the college’s administration.
- Oversee the maintenance and availability of office supplies for the CAHSS Dean’s Office.
- Direct a team of student employees to provide administrative and customer service support to the CAHSS Dean’s Office. This includes overseeing the annual recruitment of the student employee team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Business and Operations, Dean or Associate Deans.
BUILDING OVERSIGHT SUPPORT
- Coordinate with the CAHSS Facilities Coordinator to support and administer special events, initiatives, programs, and projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals, reports and other pertinent information.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively and sensitively with students, faculty, staff and community members from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to do basic math.
- Ability to work with and manipulate spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of experience and education obtained in other work settings such as the military or non-profit organizations.
- Three years of experience in an office support setting with a particular focus in the areas of day-to-day office or program management.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years in an office support setting, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Familiarity with Banner, Concur, or other financial reporting, database, and expense management systems.
- Proficiency in two or more languages.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Friday, January 28th, 2022. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 8.
The hourly range for the position is $25.00-$28.00
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.