The Bursars Office is responsible for the collection and billing of tuition-related charges, as well as the administration of Federal Perkins Loans. We work with students and their families to help obtain their educational goals at the University of Denver.
The Customer Service Assistant processes tuition, loan and related payments in a timely manner. This position works with Staff Accountants to reconcile all cashiering, research cash and check payment problems and corrects errors. Works with the University department staff ensuring accurate, timely, processing of all department deposit activity, including credit card activity. This position also works daily with Bursars Office advisors and Office of Financial Aid advisors regarding student account activity. Responsibilities also include responding to office emails, voice mails and triage for walk in contact. Consults with students and parents on payment options available for tuition account settlement.
- Works with continuing students and their families and members of the University of Denver community in a personalized way on the billing process and payment options.
- Addresses issues of a highly sensitive financial and personal nature, and therefore must exhibit independent judgment, tact and diplomacy, maintain strict confidentiality, and adhere to data sharing regulations including the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.
- All Student Financial Services staff are catalysts in supporting students through various channels, including in person, email, and on the phones.
- Works with University departments in preparing and processing deposits of University funds.
- Assists with Controllers Office end of month reporting and processing.
- Processing of all student payments received daily.
Supporting Financial Responsibility:
- The Customer Service Assistant must have knowledge in understanding the Financial Responsibility Agreement, in doing so protecting the University from any liability and the student from incurring additional debt.
- The Customer Service Assistant must be able to communicate the student’s responsibility regarding their debt to the University.
- Must be able to advise all students on all payment options, including DUPay, DU Payment Plan, Employer Reimbursement and Third-Party billing to insure student retention.
- Must be able to assist Controllers Office and Staff Accountants in research and account reconciliation.
- An understanding of banking regulations, PCI compliance, Returned Item, ICL processing is essential.
Continues Professional Development:
- The Customer Service Assistant must actively keep up to date on state and federal regulations and internal policies and procedures to ensure accurate and efficient interpretation of information and to ensure program compliance.
- The Customer Services Assistant works as a team member with the other Advisors to deliver high quality service to students and their families.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- MS Office proficiency especially Excel; Ellucian Banner knowledge or similar student financial software.
- Associates Degree or equivalent education
- 1-2 years’ experience working in customer service
- Demonstrated skills in conflict resolution, verbal and written communication, time management
- Knowledge of MS Office software applications
- Knowledge of financial software
- 1-2 years’ experience working in student financial services; 2 years may be substituted for financial or customer service-related experience
- Ability to interpret and analyze student tuition accounts.
- Ability to resolve data integrity issues in and discrepancies within student financial software.
- Proficiency with standard MS Office software applications
- Knowledge of student financial processes, guidelines, and procedures
- Knowledge of student financial software
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on May 26, 2022.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 4.
The hourly range for the position is $17.36 - $21.45.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.