Conference & Event Services (CES) delivers exceptional service, resources and support to events on the University of Denver (DU) campus. While upholding the University's integrity, values and inclusive engagement, CES cultivates strategic relationships with its internal DU partners to ensure the success of outreach to local, national and global organizations. CES provides services to clients for the exploration, discussion and enactment of issues and topics germane to a variety of important areas that include civic, political, non-profit, educational and business.
The Manager of Business & Operations in Conference & Event Services (CES) provides overall support regarding financial management, business operations, and human resource administrative functions- including processing transactions and providing strategic budget guidance. The Manager serves as the CES liaison to Human Resources, Risk Management and the Planning and Budget Office. The Manager of Business & Operations reports directly to the Executive Director of CES and has a dotted reporting line to the Planning and Budget Office and to the Controllers Office.
- Oversee budget forecasting, and day-to-day budget management for the Conference and Event Services budget ($3.5 million annual operating budget).
- Assemble annual budget proposal for department and compile budget proposal to Budget & Planning for future year budget.
- Develop monthly financial statements and forecasts to track progress towards annual goals.
- Provide expertise on financial matters.
- Conduct standard financial management responsibilities
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: purchasing card review and approval, accuracy of payroll, position control, invoicing, journal entries, recognize revenue, expense management, direct pays, contracts, purchase orders, invoices, pricing, Ungerboeck and Banner reports, batch reports, deposits, maintain holding funds, hiring paperwork, merit, and gainshare
- Interpret and/or modify policies and procedures to facilitate and ensure the application of sound business practices that align with University policies and procedures.
- Generate monthly reports to ensure proper use and allocation of funds and communicate results of monthly analysis with Executive Director.
- Assess and assist in resolving unprecedented problems that require research and review of policy and procedures. Assist with resolving problems or compliance issues.
Data Analysis, Decision Support and Strategic Planning
- Participate in the long-and short-term strategic goals and planning for the department.
- Analyze moderately complex business operations and financial statements; and provide analysis to enable leadership to make recommendations for approval.
- Ensure that data and reports are accurate and complete as well as provide interpretation, visualization, analysis, and recommendations based on the data as appropriate.
- Compile analysis into reports and presentations, usually to be presented by the Executive Director.
- Manage vendor contracts including preparation of documents for contract review process.
- Draft RFP as necessary and track materials relevant to vendor relationships - contracts, invoices, insurance, etc.
- Work with department staff to ensure on-time processing and payment of invoices and compliance with contract terms.
Human Resources Support
- Provide support in personnel decisions in the department and serve as a liaison to and from Human Resources.
- Communicate changes in policy to the CES staff of 10 appointed FTE; attend quarterly meetings and training.
- Ensure compliance with University policy and procedures related to hiring, position changes and employee performance.
- Assist Executive Director to ensure high levels of departmental performance, achievement of goals and ensure the quality of results.
- Assist in training of administrators on position duties.
- Assist event team with onsite support of summer conference and events as needed.
- Provide back-up support to front-desk operations.
- Manager of Business & Operations may oversee contracted entities during an event and/or part-time employees at the front desk.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting and budgeting practices
- Knowledge of university accounting systems
- Moderate to advanced Excel skills, especially basic uses of pivot tables and formulas like IF and VLOOKUP. Experience or general familiarity with ERP database system is helpful
- Ability to dig around in data, but also with communicating findings to peers and senior management. Candidates should be highly detail-oriented, yet also able to connect individual decisions to larger strategic efforts
- Must be able to problem solve, troubleshoot, and prioritize many different pieces of information and different processes
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and implement solutions
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems and resolve issues on an ongoing basis
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, customer service, and oral/written communication skills
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent combination or education and experience
- 3 years of relevant professional experience in business or administration including financial management
- Computer literacy and advanced proficiency in Microsoft software applications, including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- 5+ years of financial experience
- 1+ years of experience with budgeting in an academic environment
- Knowledge of Banner, Concur, and Kronos software
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Occasional event management (very limited) which would include work during nights or weekend
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) June 30, 2022.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 11.
The salary range for this position is $68,000 - $75,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.