The Department of University Financial Services provides a wide range of business, administrative and support services to faculty, staff and students in a high quality, effective and efficient manner. It supports the teaching and research mission of the University by enabling unit-level staff to access and transact support services easily and readily for faculty, staff, and/or students. The department provides successful leadership and management of infrastructure functions delivering effective, efficient, and value-adding services and processes to the institution that are directly aligned to customer needs.
The Procurement Service unit exists to procure goods and services for the University of Denver community. The unit is responsible for purchasing a wide variety of technical and non-technical items and services, including personal computers, servers, technical network equipment, scientific/laboratory research equipment and supplies, office furniture and supplies, compressed gases, physical plant equipment and supplies, and other items as assigned. The Procurement Agent applies and assures that purchases are made in compliance with university and governmental regulations and good business procedures/practices. The Procurement Agent provides procurement leadership to university departments by guiding them through the procurement process in order to obtain the best value for the university.
Process Purchase Orders:
- Includes a) Analyze and review requisitions for completeness and accuracy; follow up on discrepancies with initiating university unit; b) assist units with resolution of PO/Invoice discrepancies and disputes ; c) reviewing bids and contracts for proper specifications and appropriate terms and conditions; d) communication with vendors concerning the availability of commodities/services, price changes and discounts; e) explains and clarifies purchasing guidelines and procedures; f) follow-up and expediting activities to ensure delivery as required g) opportunity to develop, solicit and analyze bids and requests for proposals
- Connect with university units to discuss their requirements; offer customer service, advise, guidance and training regarding purchasing guidelines and procedures.
- Determine the appropriateness of emergency and sole-source purchases to ensure compliance with university guidelines/policy
- Meeting with supplier representatives to keep informed of products, trends and develop good supplier relationships
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action while being flexible
- Maintain procurement files and records in accordance with university policy/procedures, and industry best practices
- Maintains current knowledge of university initiatives that affect procurement contractual agreements and communicates to stakeholders and implementing change as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Decision Making/Judgment: Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, and communicates decisions to others.
- Inclusiveness: Actively creates and supports an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. This may include policies, procedures, training, mission, values, goals, office climate and culture, interactions with colleagues and co-workers, leadership practices, programming, hiring, marketing, evaluation, promotion, and other workplace dimensions.
- Integrity/Ethics: Follows through on commitments and communicates honestly and encourages others to do so. Demonstrates integrity and ethics and acts in support of the University's best interest.
- Customer Focus: Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
- Teamwork/Engagement: Works collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals. Displays enthusiasm about being part of the team. Treats others with respect. Supports the work of team members and personally contributes an appropriate share of the work to team projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong understanding of procurement principles and practices, and procurement negotiation methods
- Understanding and knowledge of business processes and systems
- Understanding and appreciation for automation and the use of technology as an enabler of high-quality services and performance levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 Suite (Excel, Word, etc.), Adobe and ability to learn new software applications
- Demonstrated focus on customer service and compliance
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Ability to resolve issues and bring new ideas and initiatives that improve the performance of the organization
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and ages
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to details and have strong organizational and time management skills
- Team oriented.
- Engaged and supportive.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience in procurement
- 1 to 2 years of professional experience in a procurement role
- Purchasing experience in higher education
- Professional procurement certification such as CPSM or CPPB.
- Experience writing and supporting bids and request for proposal activities
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on July 28, 2022. Updated August 2, 2022: The best consideration date has been extended to August 15, 2022 and applications will continue to be evaluated until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 7.
The hourly rate for this position is $21.45- $24.52.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.