About the University of Denver
Located where the Great Plains meet the Rocky Mountains, the University of Denver embodies the spirit of exploration and discovery that defines our region and our history. DU is a private institution built on exploration through research and collaboration among educators, students, and local and global communities. With nationally recognized academic programs, a history of widespread influence, a forward-looking vision for a 21st-century education, and a deep commitment to promoting inclusion, we open a world of opportunity to students and empower Pioneers to make a difference around the world. Through learning, scholarship and practice, students gain the experience, knowledge and courage they need to tackle big challenges in the real world and guide diverse communities and organizations.
About DU Advancement
In preparation for the most ambitious philanthropic campaign in the University’s history, the University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU’s remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision and prepare for a fundraising campaign with a bold and courageous goal.
The University of Denver and DU Advancement deeply value inclusive excellence, recognizing that its success is dependent on how well it values, engages, and includes the rich diversity of constituents. You can learn more about inclusive excellence at the University of Denver by visiting the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of inclusive, collaborative, inquisitive, innovative, ethical, and transparent advancement professionals who possess deep mutual respect for one another and for our shared profession.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Engagement Marketing, the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications will provide a high level of communication, marketing and operational support through the production of marketing and communications collateral, creative assets, and written and digital content.
The Associate Director will be a strategic communications partner, leading planning and execution of all digital communications for University of Denver Advancement. The person in this role is a collaborative marketing and communications professional who has exceptionally strong writing skills, experience in developing multi-channel campaigns with a focus on email marketing, and is able to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
The Associate Director of Digital Marketing and Communications will work closely across University Advancement develop content strategy and high-quality, compelling messaging, and to ensure content and timelines work together during each campaign based on data, target audience and overall goals. This person will also work closely with the Director of Engagement Marketing to plan test and overarching campaigns throughout the year with the goal to better understand audience preferences in order to bring valuable insights and data to future planning processes.
Email & Social Media
- Develop, present and execute digital campaigns encouraging support and engagement from our alumni, donor, student and parent communities.
- Work closely with the Director of Engagement Marketing to ensure digital strategies align with Advancement organizational goals.
- Ensure emails, social media posts, registration pages and other digital communications from DU Advancement are compelling, well-written and completed on schedule.
- Serve as the lead in digital communications when working with Advancement and campus partners.
- Review the effectiveness of Advancement communications through data analytics and update digital strategies based on this information when needed and document for future campaigns.
- Identify and execute AB testing opportunities throughout the year to better understand audience preferences.
- Source and produce content and develop social media plan for each campaign based on budget, audience and campaign type.
- Stay up-to-date on marketing and communications best practices to continue to improve Advancement communications.
- Manage communications calendar and quality control for all emails and collaborate with campus partners to ensure consistency in messaging and branding while working to avoid over-communicating with our audience.
- Participate in the development and oversee the release of DU’s monthly alumni newsletter and continue to identify ways to update to better speak to our audience.
- Work to ensure university brand standards are being followed for all assets.
- Manage and mentor digital communications coordinator in email, content and social media marketing including data reporting for each area.
- Manage external vendors when needed to produce content for Advancement campaigns.
- Oversee the development of event registration sites (frontend user experience) and make updates as new opportunities become available.
- Attend or work with coordinator to attend events as needed to capture content supporting current or upcoming campaigns.
- Create communication plans for each project with a concentration on strategic segmentation and content based on previous data and target audience.
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and campus colleagues to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative advancement practices.
- Model “One DU” leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong content and copy-writing skills and ability to create compelling content for utilization across multiple channels
- Ability to develop multi-channel marketing plans utilizing best practices and data that align with high-level organizational goals and priorities
- Creative thinking with the ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Excellent client and/or account management skills
- Solid project management skills and proficiency in handling multiple projects within tight deadlines and delegating as needed
- Strong knowledge of email marketing technology and marketing and communications best practices
- Ability to prioritize while working in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in marketing and communications
- 3 years of experience in email marketing including management of email marketing platforms such as iModules, MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.
- Strong writing skills and familiarity with social media tools and platforms
- Experience in higher education, fundraising, event, alumni or donor relations communications
- Experience using an event management platform such as Cvent, Eventbrite, etc.
- Marketing Automation Platform experience such as Salesforce, HubSpot, Marketo, etc.
- Supervisory experience
- Client or account management experience
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., some nights and weekends, as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) August 23, 2022.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 10.
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.