University Financial Services is comprised of a diverse group of experts in multiple fields. Our passion is working together and collaborating with other departments to reduce administrative burden on Faculty and Staff, so they can focus on supporting the education of our students. We strive to be a trusted and innovative partner delivering exemplary administrative services in support of the DU community. University Financial Services is committed to maintaining a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to effectively engage with individuals from diverse communities.
The Payments Specialist performs professional duties related to the administration, maintenance and payment of DU financial obligations relating to vendor payments and travel and expense reimbursement. Focus is on timely and efficient payment of invoices and other obligations as well as high quality service provided to internal customers. This is a part-time, benefited position.
- Acts as a liaison to internal customers in matters pertaining to payment obligations and travel/expense reimbursements
- Ensures payments adhere to DU policies and procedures
- Enters invoices to be paid
- Reviews payment transactions for accuracy and compliance
- Reconciles vendor statements
- Prints and mails payments according to department schedule
- Answer inquiries from units and outside vendors regarding accounts payable and related matters
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of payments workflow and practices
- Knowledge of university policies
- Understanding and knowledge of business processes and systems
- Understanding and appreciation for automation and the use of technology as an enabler of high quality services and performance levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of higher education culture, governance, structures and mission
- Demonstrated focus on customer service and compliance
- Experience managing multiple priorities in a fast paced deadline driven environment
- Decision Making/Judgment: Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, and communicates decisions to others.
- Inclusiveness: Actively creates and supports an inclusive and equitable workplace by embedding diversity into all aspects of the workplace. This may include policies, procedures, training, mission, values, goals, office climate and culture, interactions with colleagues and co-workers, leadership practices, programming, hiring, marketing, evaluation, promotion, and other workplace dimensions.
- Integrity/Ethics: Follows through on commitments and communicates honestly, and encourages others to do so. Demonstrates integrity and ethics, and acts in support of the University’s best interest.
- Customer Focus: Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
- Teamwork/Engagement: Works collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals. Displays enthusiasm about being part of the team. Treats others with respect. Supports the work of team members and personally contributes an appropriate share of the work to team projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-2 years of direct job-related experience
- Bachelors degree.
- 2-4 years of direct experience in a purchasing or payments role.
- Experience in higher education working environment.
- Experience with Banner Finance.
1. Standard office environment.
2. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
3. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
1. Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time.
2. Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 20 lbs.
Monday - Friday, 7:30am-11:30am OR 8:00am-12:00pm.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) September 22, 2023.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 5.
The hourly range for the position is $21.90-$24.00
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military enlistment, or veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the University's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; the Americans with Disabilities Act; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; Equal Pay Act; Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act; the Colorado Protecting Opportunities and Workers' Rights ("POWR") Act; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For more information, please see the University of Denver's Non‑Discrimination‑Statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.