Associate Director, Business Intelligence & Analytics
Job no: 492664
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Alumni / Development / Fundraising, Admin / Executive / Office Support
The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU's remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of collaborative, curious, results-oriented, and mission-driven advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
As a member of the Advancement divisions Business Intelligence & Analytics (BIA) team, the Associate Directors role is to use data to create and share insights and support the Advancement team in embracing a culture of measurement where all team members are supported in developing data literacy and using quantitative and qualitative data to guide their work. This position performs a broad range of tasks: supporting the Director of BIA, managing incoming tasks and providing quality assurance, partnering with colleagues across the Advancement organization to identify reporting needs, analyze existing reports, and create new systems for analyzing data, tracking progress, and improving processes. The Associate Director must have the ability to offer consultative support and develop new reports and processes that are accurate, clear, accessible, and replicable.
- Under the direction of the Director of Business Intelligence & Analytics, implement the overall analytics and business intelligence strategy for Advancement.
- Complete analytical projects designed to understand key business behaviors that drive donor acquisition, retention, and engagement.
- Under the direction of the Director of Business Intelligence & Analytics, manage the DU Advancement data request intake process; analyze incoming requests and assign reporting tasks to members of the BIA team.
- Under the direction of the Director of Business Intelligence & Analytics, provide training to members of the BIA team on report development, data standards and processes.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout Advancement to identify opportunities to use reporting and analytics to guide strategy, track work, and measure outcomes. Serve as a liaison and consistent partner to select groups within Advancement to ensure that their reporting needs are met and that they have guidance and support for analysis when needed.
- Support teams in creating alignment between their reporting and the DU Impact 2025 strategic plan.
- Align reports and create roll-up reports to support transparency and consistency throughout the Advancement team.
- Provide training to new members of the Advancement team, including new members of the leadership team, on the reporting environment, the report and data request process, and on how to access data using available query and reporting tools.
- Use Tableau, Cognos, CRM Advance, SSMS, SSRS, SQL, and Excel to explore data, validate reports, create data visualizations, and supply data and reporting.
- Use SPSS and SPSS modeler to analyze trends, evaluate programming, develop forecasts and predictive models to drive solicitation efforts around donor acquisition and conversions.
- Create documentation including data definitions and meta-data to ensure that both report users and BIA colleagues understand how report fields and parameters are defined and calculated.
- Lead and contribute to business process analyses. Identify opportunities for process improvement and provide leadership in the implementation of identified process improvements.
- Collaborate with University IT to continuously improve data structures and reporting data sources.
- Provide support for survey development and analysis.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to gather, transform, and present data in an organized and meaningful way. Must be able to communicate complex reporting and analysis to non-technical professional staff.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to strategic discussions, connecting the science of research with the art of relationship building.
- Demonstrated ability to lead within a team and promote partnership, while also working independently, setting priorities, juggling tasks as needed, and completing projects within specified timeframes amidst a face-paced work environment.
- Bachelor's degree in quantitative research methods, statistics, business, higher education, or related social science field.
- Veterans with equivalent combination of military certification/education and experience may substitute for the degree qualification.
- 5 years of professional experience.
- Use of reporting tools such as Cognos, Tableau, SSRS, Access, or Visual Studio to create and deliver end-user reports, and data visualization.
- Graduate degree in quantitative research methods, statistics, business, higher education, or related social science field.
- Experience in large, complex higher education or non-profit fundraising environments.
- Experience providing data, reporting, data visualization, and statistical analysis in a non-profit organization and/or higher education setting.
- SQL programming experience.
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases, particularly Microsoft CRM Dynamics, or Ellucians CRM Advance.
- Experience using SPSS, SPSS Modeler, R, or other software to deliver statistical analysis and predictive models.
- Experience with process mapping, process analysis, project management, or data mining.
Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm, some nights and weekends as required
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on September 17, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon the satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.