Operations Specialist, Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System
Job no: 493131
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Admin / Executive / Office Support, Business Operations / Services
Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS) is a solution-oriented research institute located at the University of Denver that works to forge innovative and practical solutions to problems within the American legal system. We connect with experts, stakeholders, and users of our system to achieve our mission in five distinct areas: civil justice reform, family justice reform, the judiciary, legal education, and the legal profession. IAALS is an Institute within the University of Denver, distinct from the University of Denver's Sturm College of Law, and is located in John Moye Hall on the University's campus.
IAALS works on solving problems within the legal system: both in the courts and in the delivery of legal services more broadly. We conduct comprehensive analysis and work with stakeholders to design models, empower decision-makers, and measure outcomes and impacts to advance a trusted American legal system.
The Operations Specialist is primarily responsible for managing and maintaining IAALS' database for development and communication efforts. Database work will include modifying or adding user-defined fields; building queries/reports; understanding processes to maintain accuracy and integrity of data; and creating forms for events. The position also provides administrative assistance and support for the Director of Strategic Partnerships, the Associate Directors of Communications, the Budget and Operations Manager, and the Events Manager. The position helps train student employees clerical and computer skills so they can help others with various tasks and assist with data entry.
- Solely responsible for all aspects of managing and maintaining IAALS internal contact management database, including the accuracy and integrity of the data and efficiency/functionality.
- Provide administrative and general office assistance to the IAALS Operations team, including the Budget/Operations Manager, the Associate Directors of Communications, and the Events Manager, with complete knowledge and understanding of office procedures; must be strongly committed to confidentiality and exceptionally detail oriented.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, including maintaining constituent records in IAALS contact management database and the University of Denver advancement database and assisting with grant proposals, tracking, and reporting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work with databases at an intermediate level or above.
- Must be competent at the intermediate level, or above, with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook.
- Must have strong administrative skills, including complete knowledge and understanding of office procedures.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with people from diverse backgrounds and contributing to diversity and inclusivity within an organization.
- Proven ability to work independently, with a strong sense of accountability and ownership of projects, but also has experience working with a team and is a strong team player.
- Bachelor's degree. Comparable experience may substitute for some of the required education. Military training relevant to the job may substitute for required education.
- More than 3 years of experience working with databases, to include knowledge of and ability to modify or add user-defined fields; building queries/reports; understanding processes to maintain accuracy and integrity of data; and creating DIY forms for events.
- Experience working with development in a nonprofit setting.
- Experience working with technology to set up meeting rooms and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, orally and in writing, with confidence and professionalism with a range of high-profile constituents including: journalists, legal & judicial community leaders, board members, and donors.
- Excellent commitment to customer service (both internal and external).
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining professional working relationships with staff, vendors, and outside entities.
- Ability to solve practical problems in situations where limited standardization exists. Good judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making skills required. Must be able to build strong relationships and serve as a liaison between multiple parties.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task, while managing multiple projects concurrently.
- Must be very detail-oriented. Organization, clarity, forward thinking, and ability to anticipate follow-up and future assignments.
- Proven ability to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to change as duties and responsibilities evolve.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Friday, August 7, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.