Part-time Professor of the Practice in Computer Science (Open Rank)
Job no: 493340
Work type: Faculty Part-Time
Location: Denver, CO
The Daniel Felix Ritchie School of Engineering and the Department of Computer Science at the University of Denver is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We especially encourage applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, and veterans.
We invite applications for a half-time (0.5 FTE) non-tenure track Assistant Professor of the Practice position for the 2020-2021 academic year beginning January 1, 2021. Appointments at the Associate or Full Professor of the Practice level may be possible for well qualified applicants.
An Assistant Professor of the Practice appointment is made initially as a one-year contract renewable on a yearly basis for three years, followed by a three-year contract where renewal is contingent on formal performance review. During the sixth year a faculty member can apply for promotion to Associate Professor of the Practice and if successful be awarded a 5-year contract.
The hired individual will be responsible for teaching introductory, higher level undergraduate, and possibly graduate level computer science courses. In addition, Professors of the Practice are expected to use industry connections to provide a bridge between industry partners and the Department, School, and students. The Department of Computer Science offers BS, BA, MS and PhDs in Computer Science, undergraduate programs in Game Development, and professional Masters programs in both Cybersecurity and Data Science. Duties include teaching three courses per year in a quarter-based system, advising students, and participating in department and university service. These positions do not require research. The successful applicant will have a passion for teaching and a demonstrated ability to teach Computer Science courses.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Significant industry experience justifying a Professor of the Practice appointment.
- Demonstrated ability to teach CS courses.
- An inclusive mindset.
- Ongoing connections with industry partners.
- Previous experience teaching computer science courses.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with culturally responsive teaching methods and/or pedagogies to effectively engage broadly diverse student populations.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. For questions regarding this position, please contact Chris GauthierDickey at email@example.com.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter that includes what courses and areas you are especially interested and qualified to teach.
- Curriculum Vitae indicating teaching experience.
- Course evaluations (if applicable)
- A one-page diversity statement that includes information about how you will advance our inclusive excellence commitment through your teaching and service.
- Names and contact information of three references.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.