The Communication Technician (Dispatcher) works in the University of Denver Campus Safety Communications Center which is a 24/7 operation. The Communications Technician is responsible for receiving and dispatching calls and messages to Campus Safety Officers for the University of Denver campus. Through which they participate in providing a safe and secure campus environment by receiving and prioritizing calls, relaying accurate information to responding personnel. The Communication Technician is a specialized position within the Campus Safety which provides essential communications between campus safety personnel including, campus safety officers, alarm technicians and parking enforcement officers in the field, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies and the public.
The Department of Campus Safety is committed to providing the highest quality safety and security services in a respectful, professional and consistent manner. The department is also committed to maintaining a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for and development of skills to effectively engage with diverse individuals and communities. Applicants from members of historically underrepresented groups including minorities, women, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Communication Technicians work in the Communications Center which is a twenty-four hour, seven days per week operation involving telephone and radio work.
- Typically, training for new staff to reach full performance takes five months. As training progresses, trainees are required to demonstrate delivery of exceptional customer service while multi-tasking entry of information into the computer, and dispatching units on the radio.
- The Communications Center is the primary Campus Safety/emergency answering point for the University of Denver. Specific duties include evaluating calls for proper action, initiating response by Campus Safety Officers or contacting outside law enforcement or Fire/EMS personnel for response by entering data into a computer as it is received. These include calls and messages for routine and emergency reports, referral information, alarm maintenance and notification, campus camera monitoring and alerts, secured door monitoring and alerts and fire alarm monitoring and alerts.
- Adheres to all Division and University policies, procedures, directives, rules and regulations.
- Participates in the Divisions recruitment and accreditation efforts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The Communication Technician works on a team but is required to make sound, independent decisions and exercise good judgment under pressure.
- Demonstration of delivery of exceptional customer service to internal and external customers.
- After training the Communication Technician will exhibit the following:
- Proficient utilization of a multi-line telephone system and a two-way radio system.
- Utilization of Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) software.
- Utilization of door security and monitoring system.
- Utilization of fire alarm monitoring system.
- Utilization and monitoring of campus camera system.
- Demonstrated and maintain good moral character.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 6 months customer service or related experience.
- 1 year experience in dispatching, law enforcement or related work environment.
- Experience working in a 911/PSAP or central station monitoring type dispatch center.
40 hrs a week. Wed: 8hrs, Thursday: 12hrs, Friday: 8hrs, Saturday: 12 hrs
Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 5.
The hourly range for the position is $18.00-$20.00.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.