The Division of Marketing & Communications serves as a strategic advisor to partners and units across campus, purposefully fulfilling partners goals and objectives, helping to increase knowledge, support enrollment and engage students, alumni, faculty and staff. The division proactively shapes the University's brand and optimizes the University's reputation internally and externally in a transparent manner. In words, in pictures, online and in the news media, the Division of Marketing & Communications shares the many stories of how DU and its people are improving the human condition, for the purpose of advancing the University's strategies. The team specializes in brand management, strategic communication, community engagement, media relations, digital and social media strategy, website development, content training and strategy, print and online publications, and videography and photography.
As the Copywriter, you will be responsible for a wide range of Marketing & Communications-led written products including copy for print collateral, traditional and digital advertising, email marketing, signage, video scripts, social media, website content and more. You must be an excellent storyteller and be comfortable writing in a variety of tones to appeal to a wide audience, including a teenage audience, to increase engagement with the DU brand. You will be responsible for writing and editing content written in alignment with style, tone and brand guidelines.
You will collaborate closely with teammates throughout the Marketing & Communications (MarComm) division and with constituents in other departments across campus producing copy that reflects the University's business objectives. You will research, plan, write and analyze methodology for writing and leverage analytics and user testing to gauge effectiveness. It is important that you have a strong knowledge of digital advertising platforms, SEO writing practices and content marketing strategy.
- Research, plan and write inspiring, informative, engaging and audience-relevant copy.
- Update online content via content management systems.
- Coordinate with external agencies and internal team members on brand building projects.
- Use customer insights, digital reporting, and campaign dashboards to monitor visitor engagement and change content in line with user/constituent requirements.
- Work with the art director and creative team to create and modify designs to support content, user and business objectives.
- Work with the video producer and team to produce compelling and engaging narrative and voiceover scripts for video and motion graphics content.
- Create and interpret project deliverables and marketing/communication documents.
- Optimize campaigns and content for SEO, using keyword tools, reconciling written content against SEO metrics.
- Consult with MarComm leadership on voice, tone and style of content.
- Adapt copy for a multitude of delivery channels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent storytelling skills, impeccable grammar, and ability to write specifically for a variety of platforms to support specific audiences.
- Ability to research, plan, write and edit copy on deadline.
- Demonstrated career success in copywriting with ability to interpret content/style and brand guidelines.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills and the ability to clearly communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to generate creative ideas and also lead execution of these ideas.
- Ability to identify sources for research and draft copy with limited direction.
- Creative production leadership skills and a meticulous attention to detail.
- Proven ability to edit content for accuracy and completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with others to achieve organizational goals.
- Must provide exceptional service to project stakeholders and constituents, including responding promptly to issues and challenges.
- Positive outlook and professional demeanor; tactful, diplomatic approach with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, detail-driven environment.
- Exceptional writing skills, with a focus on copywriting.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years of professional experience writing copy for a variety of platforms and editing content in a variety of formats.
- Bi- or multi-lingual with the ability to write/translate copy into Spanish and other languages.
- 5+ years of professional experience writing copy for a variety of platforms and editing content in a variety of formats.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, January 11, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 8.
The salary range for this position is $50,000/annually.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter
- Writing Sample
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.