Sous Chef, University of Denver Golf Club at Highlands Ranch
Job no: 493856
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Categories: Golf Course, Maintenance / Grounds / Skilled Trades, Athletics / Recreation
University of Denver Golf Club is an 18-hole, semi-private golf club featuring a Hale Irwin designed championship golf course. The course, which opened in 1998, features a great variety of immaculately groomed holes. The 7,179 yard, par 72 layout boasts expansive bentgrass greens that many say are the best in the region.
The Sous Chef is responsible for managing the back of the house food and beverage operations, in the absence of the Director. This includes daily restaurant operations, bar service, cart service, tournament fulfillment, and special event operations. The position is responsible for servicing all customers within the golf club and also maximizing the profit within the food and beverage operation. The position also ensures that the kitchen, bar and restaurant facilities meets and adheres to all codes and licenses and that all presentation of facilities, food and beverage are presented in a quality way.
Food & Beverage Operations
- Assists daily food service operations in order to provide quality products including: menu evaluation and planning, purchasing, inventory, receiving, food preparation and storage.
- Maintains and implements sanitary and food safety conditions and training to adhere to auditing procedures and statutory regulations.
- Accountable for the execution of product and service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery.
- Maintains kitchen and storage facilities to meet/exceed sanitary conditions; monitors internal quality assurance and food safety audit process (including HACCP record keeping).
- Prepares and cooks food as necessary to meet the demands of the golf facility.
- Assists with the entire beverage service including the restaurant and golf cart service. Ensures that customer’s needs are met through the selection and quality of offerings as well as ensuring that customers are offered beverages during play.
- Assists with the preparation of menu offerings and pricing for tournament and special event offerings that meet the needs of clients and provide a fiscal return to the golf club. Executes these offerings to provide the best experience possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provides team leadership by ensuring cohesiveness and service excellence through hiring, training and review of employees.
- Manages an effective and efficient work schedule to maximize productivity and deliver service excellence. This includes sending employee’s home during non-busy times, determining shift lengths, and being on-site at all necessary times.
- Manages by providing positive and constructive feedback to employees in order to reward, coach, correct, and motivate.
- Supervises day-to-day work activities by delegating authority, assigning and prioritizing activities, and monitoring operating budget.
- Provides training to all staff on service excellence, food preparation and delivery, alcohol management (TIPS), and other items as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Budget & Business Plan
- Assist in achieving revenue goals as outlined in budget through daily sales, tournaments, special events, beverage cart service, and other opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate with customers and potential clients in a constructive and optimistic fashion.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Associate's degree.
- 3 years of work experience in upscale dining, banquet, special event planning & production.
- 2+ years experience in food & deverage management in the golf industry.
- Culinary degree or hospitality certifications.
- Food Safety Procedures (ServSafe Training/Certification). Purchasing, Inventory Control, Costing and Menu Development.
- Culinary Skills.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 7.
The hourly range for this position is $22.00 - $25.00.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.