The Department of Facilities Management supports the mission of the University of Denver's physical resources in order to provide a healthy and safe educational environment for campus community through services of the departments of Capital Projects and Planning, Facilities Management, Parking & Mobility Services, Auxiliaries & Real Estate, and Business & Operations.
This position performs skilled work in making signs using specialized computer software and equipment, knows building and code requirements for the sign specifications and for the installation of signs.
In addition to following the University of Denver's policies and procedures, principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs skilled sign making tasks to include the interpretation of codes, drawings and specialized software, layout of the signs, fabrication of the signs and installation of the signs.
- Performs maintenance and repair of engraving machine.
- Prepares sign estimates for individual work orders and for major construction projects.
- Maintains appropriate levels of stock and orders supplies for vrious signs.
- Fabricates mock up signs for approval.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to read and interpret work orders and be able to communicate effectively with supervisor, co-workers and customers.
- Must have good spelling skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprint drawings. Basic math skills are used for sign layout , estimating cost of signs, ordering supplies and maintaining appropriate stock for the sign shop.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral and diagram form. Must be able to interpret codes that apply to sign installation and use judgement when to ask for clarification from management or the University Architect.
- Competency in making and installing all types of signs. Knowledge of Auto Cad is desired to create evacuation signs from electronic copies of floor plans. Knowledge of computerized sign making equipment including engraving on various mediums, vinyl application to various kinds of substrates and general knowledge of sign and graphic design. Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is desired.
- A high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Five years experience in sign making.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Drivers License and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Ability to run computer sign programs. Auto Cad, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel and familiarity with sigh and graphic design.
- Knowledge of ADA rules and regulations as it pertains to signing, fire and building code requirements for sign manufacturing and
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam.
- Familiar working with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) software, including WebTMA.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works at a desk environment while making signs. While installing signs the employee is subject to an indoor environment and outdoor environment and may be required to work from a ladder. While working in the shop area, may be subjected to a moderately loud environment
Unexpected interruptions often occur, and stress level is moderate.
Moderate to strenuous physical effort is required. This position requires extended periods of standing, walking, using hands to handle, hold and control tools and objects, reaching with arms, stooping, kneeling or crawling. This job also requires pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying of objects of up to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Needs to identify and distinguish color. Should be able to wear approved OSHA respirators
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) May 30, 2022.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 06.
The hourly rate for the position is $23.04.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non‑discrimination‑statement.
All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.